Waking up in middle of night with shakiness and palpitations...ugh!

MyLady Heidi
on 10/26/14 12:54 am

Don't eat after a healthy balanced dinner and I bet they disappear.  If you eat at night it needs to proteincentric and low carb.  Its probably RH, blood sugar fluxuations can and do occur during the night.  Example last week I got out of the shower at midnught and felt my bs was low, tested it it was 63 waited 45 minutes to see if it would right itself tested again 59 dam wrong direction, but I was determined to prove to a friend your body does right itself, I waited 45 more minutes 69.  Yeah.  Went t bed and woke up at a perfectly normal 73.  I never ate or drank one thing during this experiment.  That's why I know all these people who think they have to eat every three hours are just creating their own issue with blood sugar ups and downs.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/14 2:10 am

As others already mentioned, possible RH.. By the time you are waking up due to shakes..you body street compensating and already increased the BS. 

The best for me is to eat a serving of nuts or nut butter before bed. Right before bed.  Nuts or nut butter have fat and proteins and some crabs, and they all don't give me sour stomach ...they don't go "Bad"  just sitting in my pouch and intestines and get slowly absorbed during the night. I c compensate for the calories but start eating later during the day if i am not hungry while i wake up.  

But if you start crashing - 1- 2 glucose tables can bring the BS up, then 1 -2 tsp of nut butter help stabilize that. ****ep small individuals packs in my bed stand - check Jason's nut butter) 

With a very low BS - you need to bring it upfast to a safe level - then keep it there. 1 glucose tablet ~4-5 gr, it will bring BS by 20-25 pts, just enough to take my BS from 30's-40's to safer 60's...then i can add nut butter... Allowing the glucose to get absorb in the mouth - limits the Edgar if possible gastric discomfort..(dumping) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

DebsDecision
on 10/26/14 10:17 pm

Hi H.a.l.a. B, can you buy glucose tablets over the counter or do I need a prescription?  I am about to try anything else I can, I ate a 1/2 peanut butter sandwich before bed last night and although I awoke at 4:30am I was able to fall back to sleep.  When I awoke at 8am, I was then shaking terribly.  I'm at my wits end.  I do, however have a blood work appt. tomorrow morning and I'm praying something will be seen that will end this nightmare.  Thank you for your answer, I truly appreciate that.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/27/14 1:13 am

Glucose tablets are available in any pharmacy.. Yea - PB sandwich would make be crash.. (bread - big no no for me) PB by the spoon - just fine. I used to get 1 tsp of nut butter in a middle of the night if I would wake up.. just in case... 

As I was  stabilizing my BS, finding out what works and what does not  - I would eat1 small tsp of PB or almond butter (no bread) first thing am before I would eat or drink anything.. That helped a lot... 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

DebsDecision
on 10/27/14 1:23 am

Thank you so much H.a.l.a.!  PB by the spoon make so much more sense.  I truly did read up on all of this and even see a nutritionist every 2 months, you would have thought I knew this already.  The truth is, I've been so worried about what this could be that I pretty much forgot what I've learned.  I am picking up the glucose tablets today at the drug store near home.  How long did it take you to finally stabilize your BS, or is it a constant battle to do so?

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/27/14 1:43 am

I had issues that eventually was found to be a cause fro my very low BS and crashing all the time.. Plus food allergies.. and so on... 

But as long as i follow my diet now - I have no issue with low BS... it took me close to a year to figure out what and when can cause a crash... I still get it...if i do stupid things..(like eat bread, or sweets, or too many fruits..) but ..  I also can cheat on my diet... and not get RH ...I can have dessert and then need to make sure I eat more food every hour after taht fo rthe rest of teh day  ..and I am fine.. but... that means I need to eat ALL the time that day... 

More fat -+ proteins , less carbs and very selective carbs allows me to control my BS very well.. low fat- not very good...

i..e proteins shake - I need to add some fat to it - or my BS will crash... (whey can stimulate insulin - and with no carbs or fat to sustain the energy - a crash...)

check  food insulin index.. Not only carbs but even protein cause our body to make more insulin - so food that has proteins and fat and some carbs.. are ideal IMO