RNY 10/14/2014 ** I can NOT make myself drink another Protein Shake... HELP?

msromagnola
on 10/27/14 9:26 pm

I was there - several things that helped me.  One - more ice than I thought (maybe a whole cup in the blender); two - the hot chicken soup protein.  Oh - and adding peanut butter to the blender took away a little of the sweetness - finally, chocolate still makes me gag most times - try vanilla.

MSROMAGNOLA
ssnowgirl
on 10/27/14 11:08 pm

I recall this phase quite clearly. Think I bought every protein shake available. What has worked for last 5 years is unjury unflavored and I use recipes from eggface with adding SF stirrups to add variety.  I typically drink at least one a day just to get good source of protein in morning or an added one to curb hunger.  I used almond milk or soy usually as milk bothers me post op. 

This will pass hang in there!

Suzanne

TempiB
on 10/28/14 12:54 am - Corsicana, TX
RNY on 03/24/14

Unjury saved me.  It is the only one I can drink anymore.  Early on the chicken soup flavor was my go to protein, but now I use the vanilla in my coffee in the morning and then a scoop of chocolate in milk in the afternoon.  Tastes like chocolate milk and curbs the hunger.  If you can't tolerate milk it isn't too bad in water either.  I do not like the unflavored though.  I think it has a taste and its nasty. 

HW:303   SW:297

Megank1147
on 10/28/14 2:48 am

Where do you buy the unjury? I have heard of this in other posts I am not sure where to buy all the things mentioned outside of VitaminShoppe and GNC. This is a completely new lifestyle for me.

TempiB
on 10/28/14 5:00 am - Corsicana, TX
RNY on 03/24/14

www.unjury.com

My coworker (she had the sleeve) and I have a monthly autoship together so we get a discount.  Can't remember how much. 

I will say that I tried a LOT of protein powders before I found Unjury.  I ordered every sample pack that Vitalady offered on her site and by the time I got through 3/4 of the samples I couldn't take it anymore.  I had ordered the unjury chicken soup flavor and decided to try the chocolate and then I decided to try the vanilla in my coffee.  I was always a flavored creamer in my coffee kind of gal and didn't know if I would ever get used to drinking it black.  The vanilla protein powder in my coffee has been awesome and saved me from black coffee (Ugh!).  Perfect replacement.  I do add a little milk to my coffee first to cool it down so the protein powder doesn't clump up, but cool water would do the same thing.  I think I just add milk out of habit.  Might need to rethink that. 

I have no idea if unjury is more expensive than others because I really haven't looked.  Quite frankly, I don't care because I'll use it anyway even if it is. 

HW:303   SW:297

linison
on 10/28/14 2:43 am
VSG on 10/13/14 with

I'm in the middle of my post-op liquid diet for VSG, and I completely feel you!  I've been drinking Unjury Chicken flavored protein soup, protidiet chicken soup, unflavored protein powder added to warm soup, and isopure mixed with gatorade or crystal light to get me through.  

Megank1147
on 10/28/14 2:49 am

Linison where did you find all the things you mentioned?

linison
on 10/28/14 3:17 am
VSG on 10/13/14 with

I bought the Unjury chicken and unflavored at http://www.unjury.com, found the Isopure at GNC, Protidiet is available on Amazon, and collected various protein powders to add to puddings and stuff from all over.  My favorite is chocolate protein powder in vanilla Jello sugar free pudding.  

Megank1147
on 10/28/14 8:41 am

I wanted to thank you all for your support and responses to my post. I am so glad I joined this group and I know where to turn when I have questions or need support. So glad I found this site. I went to my dr. 2 week Post Op today. I am down 29lbs. He said it is perfectly normal to have the feeling towards protein drinks at this point, he set my conscience free because I had been "cheating" to get my protein in different forms and he said that was ok, it just meant I was progressing well and ready to go to the next step. So now I can eat ground burger, fish, beans and eggs without guilt now. I am so glad I am allowed to have these things I think the mental freedom is what I needed. This is tougher than I thought it would be but I can get through this and be healthy and happy on the other end of this. :) Zero regrets now, where I was starting to wonder if I could get through this or not.