RNY 10/14/2014 ** I can NOT make myself drink another Protein Shake... HELP?

Kate -True Brit
on 10/27/14 5:45 pm - UK
On October 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM Pacific Time, Megank1147 wrote:

How do you get your protein in then?

Blend real foods into the same consistency. Thus is NOT anticipating the puree stage. This is like soup.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Valerie G.
on 10/27/14 6:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's that whey aftertaste and the nasty foam on the glass, isn't it? 

I had the same aversion and went for a product called ProStat64, which paked 15g in one teeny tiny ounce, but it was the worst godawful taste I've ever endured, no matter what flavor I got.  I treated it like medicine, right down to slamming it down from a Nyquil cup.  I did 2oz 3x a day, made horrible faces, rinsed my mouth out and coated it with peanut butter to mask the residual taste.

These days, I only need protein when I don't have a very good eating day - but I discovered egg white protein doesn't have that horrible flavor.  It's not fabulous, but no nasty aftertaste, no foam, and it mixes in my coffee to flavor it nicely.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Megank1147
on 10/27/14 7:15 am

Yes exactly Valerie. I can't do another one. My mouth and pouch are on strike, my brain knows I need to but I can't do it. This morning the foam made me gag dry heaves. Where did you get the ProStat64. My dr hasn't given me any other options then the Bariatric Advantage shakes that they push you to buy. I bought Muscle Milk in other flavors on my own, but I just can't do it anymore. I am only on week 2 post op so I was thinking he wants me to do this for 4 more weeks I will have to die first because it isn't happening. :/

dccyr
on 10/27/14 7:23 am

I love the vanilla and chocolate premier protein from Costco.  I blended in a piece of banana to jazz it up. 

Valerie G.
on 10/27/14 7:25 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Get what works - enough said.  I would recommend the egg white protein over the ProStat64, which can be found online.  Just google it.  At least the egg white protein was good in my coffee in vanilla or chocolate.  It's the only way I'll drink it (tip-mix a slurry before adding to hot liquid to avoid clumps).  I found Jay Robb egg white protein locally, even at Kroger. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

DebsDecision
on 11/18/14 9:13 pm

Hi there, I am 4 months post-op from RNY surgery.  The protein shakes I get, which were on my Dr.'s preferred list are called Premier Protein.  They are 11oz. small containers which come in Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry and contain 30mg of protein each....they are 160 calories and only 1g of sugar!  They are THE BEST, especially when nice and cold!  I get them at Costco but they also have them at other retailers such as GNC and The Vitamin Shoppe!  Good luck...here's to our new life!

Poodlemac
on 10/27/14 9:58 am
RNY on 09/26/14

Keep in mind that this early on, your protein goal is just that- a GOAL. The shakes are disgusting after surgery,  Especially after 4 weeks of them. I drank some milk because it would go down and wasn't sweet. You can mix some powdered milk in with your regular milk to bump up the protein. Can you have cream soups at this point?  That was my life saver. They had a lot of flavor and some body to them. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do broth again. Gag!  I would also very slowly enjoy some laughing cow cheese. Really just let it dissolve on my tongue. Good luck! You can do it!!

TinaG78
on 10/27/14 11:34 am
RNY on 10/15/14

Have you tried the ready to drink protein shakes? Pure Protein shakes are pretty good. I get mine at VitaminShoppe. They are also on Amazon. They have 35g of protein per can. I also can't do the powder shakes after my surgery, they smell rotten to me now. The premade ones work for me. 

kathkeb
on 10/27/14 12:31 pm

I used the Unjury Chicken Soup protein (www.unjury.com) and added some picante sauce into it to make it spicy.

I got so sick of the sweet protein shakes, that I needed something savory.

Kath

relovlee
on 10/27/14 12:45 pm - VA

If you're really struggling try Isopure brand protein juice. It's very refreshing and no shake taste. Consistency of Apple juice and slight after taste. But pretty good to drink. How that helps!!!

Sincerely,
Re