RNY 10/14/2014 ** I can NOT make myself drink another Protein Shake... HELP?

Trouble1391011
on 10/27/14 6:30 am

I had RNY on 9/29/14... My doc doesn't really stress the protein powder deal and tells you to stop it after the 2nd week. I know that most do, but mine doesn't (which I am very glad for). 

Megank1147
on 10/27/14 6:36 am

What does your dr say you can have after week two? You just have to chew it very well, right? Mine has me on 3 weeks of liquid after then 4 more weeks of soft mushy foods and then at 8 weeks I can introduce one thing of food at a time into my diet. This has been torture?

Trouble1391011
on 10/27/14 6:49 am

At the week 3 mark (starting week 3 would be the end of the second week since you left the hospital) we can have scrambled eggs (no more than 1/2 an egg), canned or packaged tuna or salmon, 1/4 to a 1/2 piece of toast with any of those foods.  Small bites and chew well.  At the 4 week mark and until the end of week 6 (so 3 weeks total), I can have all of the foods from before plus eggs any style, baked or broiled flaky fish, soft cooked veggies, soft fruits (no skin), soft cooked and drained pasta, drained minestrone soup, soft cooked beans and legumes, hummus, tofu, couscous, or quinoa... I know a lot of people say that pasta is a huge no no, but this is what I was given by my doc and nut :)

ClaudiaW
on 10/27/14 1:20 pm - Rockwall, TX

what did you have for your post 2 weeks? I am 6 days out and im just hungry. i am getting all my fluids and even up to 30g of protien but im just hungry.

Trouble1391011
on 10/28/14 12:12 am

The first week was the clear liquids so I had water, SF jello, SF popsicles, and broth.  The second week I could have mashed potaotes so that is pretty much what I went with.  Liquids and a teaspoon of mashed potaoes the 2nd week... lol 

poet_kelly
on 10/28/14 12:14 am - OH

Please follow your surgeon's plan, not the plan of someone else's surgeon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Megank1147
on 10/28/14 3:03 am

I go see him today. I am going to ask him about all these other options on here. I know one thing I haven't had protein in 3 days at all because I refuse to drink another shake. I honestly think the reason he suggests these shakes is because he gets a kick back from the shake company.

poet_kelly
on 10/28/14 3:22 am - OH

that might be the reason he suggests a particular brand of shake.  but many surgeons suggest protein shakes because it's nearly impossible to eat enough food to get enough protein in the first few weeks.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Megank1147
on 10/27/14 6:39 am

I reread this so I see what you are planning to eat but what did you and do and will do for the first 6 weeks after surgery? How are you getting your protein now until you can eat meat, eggs, beans and tuna again?

Trouble1391011
on 10/27/14 6:51 am

The only thing I am planning to eat is meat! lol. I can't wait for the next 2 weeks to zoom by so I can eat some chicken!!!  But I posted what my docs guidelines are a few minutes ago :)