Insurance Approval - Does it happen in stages?

Patty T.
on 10/26/14 4:00 pm - Boalsburg, PA

I posted this in the Insurance forum, but it looks like not much happens over there, so I'll ask here as well.

I received approval letters from my insurance company for an initial surgeon consult and a psych eval! 

Is the actual surgical approval is dependent on the consult and eval?

Mary Gee
on 10/26/14 9:03 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Actual surgical approval is dependant on many things.

You must meet your insurance company's criteria for the surgery.  Usually it's BMI of 35 with comorbidities, or BMI of 40, no comorbidties necessary.  Some (many) insurance companies also require a six month (or one year) "supervised" diet.  You can call your insurer for specifics, and/or look at your specific policy.  (I'm assuming coverage has been confirmed, since they have giving you an approval for the consults.

You must also meet your surgeon's requirements.  Generally, surgeons have a program that includes the psych eval, then meetings with dietician, tests such as sleep apnea, cardio screening, etc.  Most surgeons have orientation programs you must attend and they give an overview of their process and the surgeries.  Some programs have general information sessions you must attend (mine had four sessions). 

Once you meet your surgeon's requirements, they will submit your paperwork to the insurer for review and approval.

Check out "Resources" at the blue bar at the top of the page for more information.

The process generally takes about six months, and there will be many frustrating moments -- but well worth it.

Good luck to you!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Patty T.
on 10/27/14 7:57 am, edited 10/27/14 7:58 am - Boalsburg, PA

Thanks Mary. I didn't realize that there were multiple approvals in the process. I know about all the steps and clearances, but didn't know insurance was involved at various points. I thought "approval" was a blanket OK. Silly me.