Need support

Virginia5119
on 10/24/14 12:03 pm

Hi I am day 5 post op.  Gastric Sleeve.  Physically I am doing well trying to be patient with my recovery.  After all I am 57 and the surgery was major. 

My daughter just went home after staying with me and I really do not need her, except I am so emotional.  I am crying and feeling so sad.  I know this is a big change and my life will continue to change, but I really have no one to talk too that would understand.  I assume others who have gone through this would. 

Valerie G.
on 10/25/14 1:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Hormonal swings and down right post-op depression aren't that uncommon at all.  The best part is that they are also treatable.  Be sure to talk to the doc at your next checkup.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/25/14 7:41 am - OH

Yes, it's very common to be emotional after the surgery. Some of it is just from the surgery itself and some of it is from having to give up food, both emotionally and physically.

Feel free to come here and vent as you need to. There are many many of us have been through the same thing.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

karishka
on 10/25/14 8:04 am

Hi Virginia, 

I had my surgery approximately 2 weeks ago and I struggled so much after.  Physically I was fine,  but emotionally I was in such a dark place and I completely regretted the surgery.   I even went back to my surgeon because I was freaking out. ... it gets better.   And you are not alone.   I had a hard time finding anyone who could relate,  but I just joined this board today.   Hang in there! 

momjan
on 10/26/14 5:21 am - Canada

Find a local support group for WLS patients; your nut/dietician or pcp should be able to point you in the right direction.  These people have gone or are going through surgery and would be a good sounding board for you.