So confused! What do you guys think?

onemeanmom
on 10/24/14 2:59 pm - Modesto, CA

I loved my RNY~~~ yep, I've regained all but 40 lbs but um... who to blame?  I became sick and the last three years all I could do was sleep. It took over a year to diagnose me and the next two years to find the right combination of meds that would work. I've also been taking high doses of prednisone for three years which is known to cause weight gain then there was the depression due to all that was going on with trying to figure out what was wrong with me, doctors, tests, more doctors, more tests, try this med and that med and this combination of meds... a nightmare! And all I wanted to do was sleep. I see all that as separate from my RNY. Is that wrong? I would totally do my RNY again. Sure, there were days that were bad and days that were good. It was all about learning, every day what I could do and what I shouldn't do/eat... Anyway, I highly recommend the RNY but that said I know nothing about the sleeve. I know that many wls people have had issues with cross addictions but I haven't had that experience. I truly believe that someone has to have a predisposition to addiction and I just don't have that problem. Thank goodness! So I think that part is totally individual. I am in the process of trying to get a revision now that I am feeling better so we'll see what happens. But good luck to you on your journey.  Have faith and trust your surgeon! Take care.

ipray
on 10/25/14 1:39 am
VSG on 11/06/14

You aren't to blame for your situation!  Life happens.  Just knowing that you would totally do your RNY again proves that you felt that it was successful even though your your other situations were counter productive.  I am so glad you are still trying to get yourself right.  If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!  God bless!

onemeanmom
on 10/25/14 11:45 am - Modesto, CA

tHANKS for the positive reply ipray... I so appreciate it. Best of everything to both of us! Can't wait to see how it all turns out for us!

onemeanmom
on 10/24/14 3:00 pm - Modesto, CA

oh and not too crazy about the flat ass but.... side effect??? LOL!

apple60
on 10/29/14 2:21 am - schwenksville, PA

I had RNY 6 years ago and I couldn't be happier I never regretted having it done. I know I have trouble eating certain things but you have to take the good with the bad if you want to get healthy. I lost about 100 lbs. and feel great. I was 61 years old when I had it done and I went thought it with flying colors . I was heavy all my life I'm happy the way I look now. So good luck.

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/14 3:32 pm
RNY on 11/12/14 with

I was born with SEVERE GERD. Just like eggface described.. I'm getting the RNY because the sleeve is notorious for worsening it. 

As for losing the weight and being successful..

My mama had RNY back in '04. She lost 120+ pounds and has kept it off since!

That's 10 years of maintained weight!(:

I wish you luck and hope you go into surgery COMFORTABLE with your decision! I think the RNY would be best for you! Listen to your gut AND your doc!(;

-M

ipray
on 10/25/14 1:26 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Thank you for the kind words and support!!  Your mom's loss is fantastic!!!  And she kept it off!  How inspirational is that!  God Bless!

poet_kelly
on 10/24/14 5:32 pm - OH

Well, I would go with RNY if that was my only choice.

I'm sure there are people that had VSG that gained weight back and drink like a fish, too.  That doesn't mean you have to do that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ipray
on 10/25/14 1:29 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Exactly!  I am the one in control.  It doesn't sound like there is too much difference between the RYN and VSG after all.  Thanks for your honest opinion.  That is what I need to hear!  God Bless!  

Bonnie250
on 10/24/14 7:57 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

This is a no brainer for me. Go with the Gastric Bypass....Your friend (how sad) is not a good example for you. Any surgery you have, you can eventually "eat through" and gain back the weight. The surgery is only a TOOL for weight loss. Sounds like your friend has a bit of transfer addiction issues. With a 100lbs to lose, AND with having GERD, for me, I would have a bypass in a second...but its your decision....I never have regretted having my bypass....and originally I was going to have the sleeve, as well.....

Bonnie