So confused! What do you guys think?

ipray
on 10/24/14 11:43 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I was scheduled to have vertical sleeve WLS in two weeks.  Today the doctor said that I may have to have gastric bypass instead, depending on the outcome of an esophageal motility study that I am having done next week.  He has done other test, upper gi, barium swallow, etc., and said that I have gerd (which I have had for years) and that my esophagus does not work well and that the sleeve could make the gerd unbearable.  (He is the director of bariatric at St. Agnes Hospital and his other specialty is Gerd types of problems.)  i had my heart set on the sleeve. I know i don't want the lap band.  I have a friend that had bypass about 8 years ago and she gained back all of her weight and is drinking like a fish.  Should I go with the bypass if that is my only choice, or skip surgery all together? I really, really wanted the sleeve!  (I need to lose 100 lbs. and can't seem to do it.  Can lose 25, but then I can't stick with it and end up regaining more). 

Eggface
on 10/24/14 12:09 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I had severe GERD (acid pouring out of my nose in the night severe) prior to WLS I suffered with it for as long as I can remember one of my early childhood memories is of choking on stomach acids in the night. I had RNY in 6/20/2006 and that was the last day (fingers crossed) of my GERD symptoms. I have been happy with my choice (VSG wasn't as common then) and so far the only complication in 8 years has been some very recent iron deficiency stuff. I am maintaining my weight loss 8 years and holding.

I might post this question again on the VSG and RNY boards and get some fellow sufferers input. I have read if you suffer from GERD VSG might not be the best WLS choice http://media.jamanetwork.com/news-item/laparoscopic-sleeve-g astrectomy-did-not-relieve-resolve-gerd-symptoms/ and I'm gathering your Dr has read the same study that came out in Feb.

Best wishes in your research and I hope whatever you decide you get some relief from your symptoms. 

Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

ipray
on 10/24/14 12:22 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

Thank you so much!  It is so nice to hear a success story from someone that has had long term success with RNY. You are an inspiration!  Maybe this is God's way of telling me that I was having the wrong surgery with the sleeve.  Thanks again and God bless!

ipray
on 10/24/14 12:34 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

Wholly moley!  Just read article.  I remember telling my doctor I hoped that weight loss with the sleeve would eliminate my GERD.  This article may be a game changer for those with GERD that are having problems selecting the best surgery.  What an eye opener!  Thank you for the info!

Chilipepper
on 10/24/14 12:13 pm

If you suffer from GERD, I wouldn't let them do a VSG. He is right.  I would go for the RNY. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

ipray
on 10/24/14 12:26 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

Your direct answer really set my head straight!  You are making my decision so much easier!!!  Thank you for your honest and extremely helpful opinion!  God bless!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/24/14 12:29 pm - OH

Maybe I'm not understanding what you wrote correctly, but it almost sounds as if you don't want bypass because you know people who have regained with it.  The regain statistics are almost identical for RNY and VSG, though... So if you were wanting the sleeve because you thought your chances of regain would be lower, that isn't the case.

Only you can decide whether you would be better off accepting the vitamin malabsorption, the restriction on NSAIDs, and the potential complications of RNY (strictures, reactive hypoglycemia, kidney stones) or continuing to struggle with your weight without surgery. If you think there is any way to lose a reasonable amount of weight and maintain the loss without surgery, then I would go for it.  If not, the question becomes whether carrying around the excess weight is better or worse than the potential side effects of RNY?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ipray
on 10/24/14 12:48 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

You are right! I didn't want the bypass because of the failure of my friend.  i also didn't like the amount of internal re-routing and I am scared of the horror story's I've heard about dumping.  i spent a lot of money and time buying and reading books about the sleeve.  I can't lose it on my own and hearing from successful RNY people is really changing the way i feel about it RNY.  You have pointed out what i really needed to hear.  I read about the after surgery complications with RNY versus sleeve but sounds like there may be many RNY people that haven't experienced any complications.  Thank you Lora for I think I would rather have potential side effects from the RNY than my high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc.  Thank you for taking the time to respond.  God bless you!!!  

1slusher1
on 10/25/14 11:58 am

This concerns me because I had the sleeve on oct 2. I have suffered from gerd for many years. I had a hernia that was removed during my surgery. But still have to stay on meds always for it. So far I'm not suffering from it. Sure hope I made the right choice.

1slusher1
on 10/25/14 12:05 pm

This concerns me because I had the sleeve on oct 2. I have suffered from gerd for many years. I had a hernia that was removed during my surgery. But still have to stay on meds always for it. So far I'm not suffering from it. Sure hope I made the right choice.