Gastric Bypass VS Sleeve Gastrectomy HELP !!

desertdiva71
on 10/23/14 5:56 am

I am about 2 months out from a surgery date and Im having difficulty deciding between the Bypass surgery and the Sleeve. The cost is much higher for the bypass but I have a very high BMI and think the bypass would allow for more weight loss. The sleeve is much lower in cost and seems to be in between the LapBand and the Bypass as far as weight loss, etc, but with less malabsorption. I guess  my question is.....Has anyone who had a very high BMI had the sleeve and wish they had chosen Bypass? I am 5'3 inches, 330lbs with a BMI 58.5. Any insight, suggestions, etc, would be very much appreciated! 

Kate -True Brit
on 10/23/14 6:34 am - UK

If you go to the search icon ( magnifying glass in the blue bar) you will find lots of threads on this. That way you will get more reples to read. There have been two or three threads on this in the last week alone.

Not trying to brush you off! Just show you the maximum number of replies. Just put in things like bypass versus sleeve, RNY or VSG. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

desertdiva71
on 10/23/14 8:29 am

Thanks Kate! Im a newbie and still trying to find my way around the site 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/23/14 10:33 am - OH

Yes, definitely search previous posts.  This question comes up multiple times every week so there are hundreds of posts about it out there (and people often get tired of typing the same replies over and over again, so might just choose not to reply again at all).

just a note of what you write.  You said that the sleeve is between the band and RNY "as far as weight loss, etc, but with less malabsorption."  With the sleeve there is NO malabsorption at all.  It is strictly a restrictive procedure.

I started out at almost the exact same size you are (5'3.5", weight was 332) and had RNY because VSG wasn't an option 7 years ago, but if I were making the decision now and had my choice, I would opt for the sleeve.  I find it difficult to deal with only being able to take Tylenol or prescription pain meds (since RNYers should not take NSAIDs (whi*****ludes aspirin)), and IMO about 18-24 months of temporary caloric malabsorption (and a very small amount of permanent fat malabsorption) isn't worth a lifetime of lack of vitamin absorption.  

Studies show that RNYers lose a bit more quickly because of the bypass, but that by 2 or 3 years out (depending on the study) the weight loss is not much different between RNY and VSG, and by 5 years out, the amount of weight loss maintained depends far more on adherence to healthy post-op eating than which surgery they had.  If they continued to eat high protein, limited carb/calorie/fat meals, they kept the weight off with both surgeries; if they went back to eating a lot of carbs and high calorie meals, they regained weight.

I personally know people who started out with BMI over 50 and have done very well with both RNY and VSG.  I also know some people who have regained a significant amount of weight with both surgeries.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 10/23/14 10:22 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Lora said it well but here is a link from the asmbs website which talks about each procedures and the pros and cons. Also there are many other resources on the website that will allow you to research this. surgeries

Valerie G.
on 10/24/14 12:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You've got another option (but may need a diff surgeon) that does very well with higher BMI's.  The Duodenal Switch has a sleeve stomach, but also a different bypass to increase malabosorption and metabolism.  This combinations yields great statistical success.  It's like the best of both worlds.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 10/24/14 2:45 am

Long-term, the Sleeve and the RNY/gastric bypass have about the same results. (The LapBand has the worst results of all surgery types, and the highest rate of re-operation. It's especially unsuccessful for those with a BMI over about 45.)

Given your BMI, you should also be researching the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, especially for those with a BMI greater than 50. The DS does cause some major malabsorption of vitamins and minerals, but unlike the RNY, it also causes major, permanent malabsorption of CALORIES. I personally prefer taking vitamins 4 times a day to watching every bite I put in my mouth, all day every day---but that's just me.

You need to visit all the surgical boards, including the Revision board.

Member Services
on 10/24/14 3:37 am - Irvine, CA

Check out the surgical and revision message boards:

RNY
VSG
DS
Revision

Post on the surgical boards what you've posted here so other members can provide support and information from their experiences.

Bryan4950
on 10/24/14 6:24 am

Hello

I had the Gastric Bypass in 2012 my highest weight was 396 and now i weigh 218 the reason i selected the Gastric was because i loved sweets and plus i used to eat late at night and after talking with my Doctor that was the best choice for me at that time.

LEO4Him
on 10/24/14 8:49 am

I actually have a surgery date but am waffling about which procedure to have.  My BMI is about 53 but I really have never liked the idea of a pouch.  The restrictive sleeve and the fact that the stomach will work the same is favorable to me however my doctor ssays I will not lose enough unless I have the "Y."   Still really confused and nervous!