Supplemental AFLAC Insurance Question

MisterMoose
on 10/28/14 10:40 am

Changing to my wife's BCBS Insurance effective Jan 1st since my company's UHC Insurance has exclusions for Bariatric Surgery.   I will have sleeve sometime in May or June.

Once I switch to my wife's health  insurance in January, I will need to apply my own employer's benefits to other health care options  (Dental, Vision, and a selection of various AFLAC supplemental plans).

This is a "use it or lose it" type of situation, so I want to use it the best way I can.

My question-  has anyone had experience with AFLAC's supplemental hospital plans?   I looked over their literature, and it excludes "elective or cosmetic surgery".   Since recommended by my cardiologist, I would think this would not be considered "elective", right?   

Has anyone experienced this with AFLAC or any other supplemental provider?

poet_kelly
on 10/28/14 11:47 am - OH

If UHC is going to cover it, they are considering it medically necessary.  So I would think AFLAC would, too.  But you'd need to call them to make sure.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MisterMoose
on 10/28/14 12:44 pm

UHC is NOT covering it.  That is why I am changing to my wife's insurance BCBS in January (prior to my May surgery).

poet_kelly
on 10/28/14 12:45 pm - OH

OK, if BCBS covers it, then that's because they consider it medically necessary.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MisterMoose
on 10/28/14 1:24 pm

Thanks.  That is kind of how I look at it, but I wanted to see if anyone had any actual experience with AFLAC supplemental.