Off topic- not weight loss related.....

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/14 10:39 am - Loganville, GA

Okay, I'll try to keep this short, but I can't promise anything

Background info: I am in my first semester of Physical Therapist Assistant school. It's extremely competitive to get in. There are over 400 applicants to my school's program every year and the top 18 get selected based on grades, entrance exam scores, etc. On top of that, there are only 5 schools in my state that are accredited for the program. The program is 5 consecutive semesters starting this fall and I will graduate in the Spring of 2016.

The issue: There are only 2 professors teaching all of the classes in the program. The department chair is our main professor this semester and for some reason she just does not like me at all. Normally I don't care what people think of me, and if it was any other professor I wouldn't care because I wouldn't have to see them after this semester. I don't know what the issue is, but she goes out of her way to avoid talking to me (she usually carries on conversations with multiple other students on our breaks). When she does talk to me she treats me like I'm a friggin moron. Honestly, I'm starting to strongly dislike her to the point where my blood boils when I even think about her. A classmate of mine told me to just roll with the punches. I told her I would try, but one day I might punch back (figuratively of course). Is there anything I can do to ease my situation?

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 10/28/14 11:13 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

You need to request a face to face meeting with you, the professor, and the Dean. 

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/14 11:18 am - Loganville, GA

Should I just try for a face to face with her first, instead of escalating it all the way up to the dean?  I almost feel like that might make our strained relationship worse. 

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 10/28/14 2:58 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I am a Director of Academic Operations at a college (one step below Dean).  If I were you, I would escalate it all the way to the Dean.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

kathkeb
on 10/28/14 12:18 pm

If she is being punitive with her grading towards you, treating you differently than others, you could take that up with meeting with her and the dean.

If she just doesn't engage with you during breaks and doesn't seem to like you, shake it off, ride out the semester.

Kath

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/14 12:47 pm - Loganville, GA

She's definitely fair across the board with students, just doesn't engage me or like to talk to me like the rest of the class.  I have her for the next 5 semesters lol

kathkeb
on 10/28/14 12:51 pm

Well, who knows, maybe you remind her of an ex, or someone who was cruel to her in the past.

To be honest, calling a meeting either with her alone or with her and the dean to say, "why don't you like me?" sounds pretty "third grade" to me.

Likely will only make matters worse.

Like Bobbie Raitt said, " I can't make you love me if you don't, you can't make your heart feel something it don't".

Do your work, get good grades and maybe she will come around and maybe not.  Don't try so hard to get her attention.

Kath

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/14 1:07 pm - Loganville, GA

I agree with you there.  The only way I would meet with her about anything is if she made it personal or something.  Thanks for the advice :)

Queen_Tatiana
on 10/28/14 1:00 pm

Make an official appointment with her and ask her face-to-face what the problem is and why you are feeling strongly that she doesn't like you.  Remind her you have to work this program together and you deserve to know what the problem is. 

Best of luck to you.

Mari     

WLS 12/27/04 260lbs; CW 136lbs; 5'6