Hoping to make it past the next Appointment

Bianka
on 10/28/14 9:28 am - Canada

So I had my orientation session a while back which I got through my doctors referral.  At the time I had a BMI of 37 and Arthritis in the Knees.  After my Orientation session I got a call from the Nurse Practitioner telling me that I do not qualify because I need a BMI of 40 or two major Health Issues.  I was almost in tears and explained to her that my knee pain is out of control and if I don't get this surgery that I will just end up gaining more weight due to my limited mobility.  She then said that she does want to make the next appointment and we would decide it then.  That was 5 weeks ago.  I did get my appointment which is not until the 19 Nov.  The problem is that I am so worried that I will not make the cut that I gained a few pounds which I am currently at a BMI of 39.  I am not sure what I should be doing, I feel like crap all the time, have no energy and my knees are screaming at me.  I can not think about anything else other then that I need this surgery or I feel like my life is over.  I don't have anyone to talk to about this other then my husband who is very supportive but I need some opinions from those that have done this journey.  Should I gain the last few pounds to make it to the 40 BMI or should I try to lose the ones I gained and see how the appointment goes.  My other issue is that I risk losing my career if I gain anymore weight.  I feel very depressed.  At this stage I think if I do make it past the Practitioners Nurse Appointment I will still need the Sleep study, Bloodwork and to see the Social Worker and Dietitian. I am assuming that my waiting time is still very long!

Mary Gee
on 10/28/14 3:44 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Have you read "About WLS" under "Resources" on the blue bar at the top of the page?

Have you had a physical lately to be sure you don't have any comorbidities?  High blood pressure is a common problem.  I also found I had mild sleep apnea after I was tested.  Have you checked with your insurer to see what they list as comorbidities?  If you can't meet that requirement, I guess the only solution is to get your BMI to 40 - how much more weight would you have to gain to meet that requirement.  I know that's not a good solution, but if it's the only way to get the surgery.............. I have heard of people going to weigh-ins with rolls of quarters in their pockets to meet weight - I can't recommend that to you, but it shows what some people will do to qualify.

It's a tough situation to be in.  I feel for you.  I hope you can find a solution.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Bianka
on 10/29/14 9:37 am - Canada

Thank you and yes I had my blood work done completely and there is nothing abnormal going on.  It is a tough spot and I found myself torn between gaining or losing!