Help! How can I convince hubby?

SuziAck
on 10/29/14 10:56 pm

"Our bodies are individual, meaning that some of us do not metabolize or process in the same way."

Thanks, you're right.  Its very easy for him to stay slim.  He works out every day and is very disciplined.  I feel bad complaining about him, but it seems like many people understand what I am going through.

Lisarn1
on 10/29/14 11:28 pm - Raleigh, NC

Sometimes people who have never had the weight problems that we have can't really understand. They have no frame of reference. I can only speak about what it's like for me. I was never a big eater and ate a fairly healthy diet, but it didn't matter. I not only couldn't lose weight, I actually gained. Everyone said, "just eat less". They didn't realize that my intake was averaging about 900-1000 calories a day.

My WLS was like flipping a switch on my metabolism. I had my RNY in 2009, and lost over 100 Lbs. I kept it off over the last five years, with the exception of 15-20 Lb rebound. The only reason I had VSG revision surgery was because of the severe recurrent bleeding anastomotic ulcers. After exhausting medical intervention I felt that surgical intervention was necessary. If I don't lose another pound, I don't care. My plan is to maintain.

As far as WLS is concerned, I believe it is a gift to people like us. I would have lived with the ulcers and anemia for the rest of my life if it weren't for the bleeding ulcers that were not healing this time. It was this that made my condition life threatening. If it weren't for my RNY, I would still be at high risk with diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and all of the lovely things that accompany them.

Sorry to be long winded. I hope that you can bring your husband on board, but if not, you need to remember whose life is really at stake. This decision is ultimately yours. 

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

SuziAck
on 10/30/14 8:39 am

Thanks, I really appreciate your thoughtful reply.

TheNewT
on 10/29/14 10:11 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

I was in your shoes. To help him understand the decision I invited him to support group, took him with me to the pre-op surgeon appointments, etc. What finally broke through was me coming clean (OK almost clean) about exactly how much weight I had to lose. He thought I only needed to lose 40 pounds. Those were some awesome rose-colored glasses he was using. I said Sweetie, if I only had to lose 40 pounds I would not have to have surgery. If I only had to lose 80 pounds I wouldn't have surgery. The number that I am working with is daunting and I need help.

That conversation finally got him to stand with me in support. That was all I needed. That was what I wanted...his support. Good luck with your hubby!

SuziAck
on 10/29/14 10:44 pm

Wow!  You actually told him what you weight, I'm impressed!  I'll try that!  Thanks.