Post gastric sleeve diet

Brennasmom
on 10/27/14 3:38 am

Will be having my gastric sleeve in the spring 2015. Any suggestions for when I am on a maintenance diet for eating out with my family?

Brennasmom   

Valerie G.
on 10/27/14 6:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Pick a good protein-rich meal that is low in carbs.  I pretty much brought my post-op diet to my family.  Instead of rice or pasta as a side dish, I served a second vegetable.  They got the rice and pasta when we went out.  My son's wrestling coach was delighted at how my son was eating.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Brennasmom
on 10/27/14 8:09 am

Thank you so much for the info!

Brennasmom   

Gwen M.
on 10/27/14 8:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I find it's pretty easy, especially when I can look at a menu online before I go.  That gives me time to really read it over and figure out the best choices.  We also eat out less now and go to higher quality restaurants when we do.  So it works out pretty well! 

I look for high protein options that are grilled, broiled, or baked.  I avoid salads and fried foods.  Recently I've gone to steakhouses and I get tartare. :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Brennasmom
on 10/27/14 8:50 am

Thank you-very helpfull

Brennasmom   

Kate -True Brit
on 10/27/14 7:00 pm - UK

Not sleeved, but my eating patterns are the same!

you are asking about maintaining, not losing.  For me, once the weight was gone, eating out means eating like everyone else! We don't eat out every night, I eat well at home, so eating out is a social occasion and a treat. So I eat what I fancy. But as I always start with protein, the veggies, then carbs, I don't end up eating too many of the things I normally avoid anyway. But I am talking about quality restaurants not fast food!!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Tracy D.
on 10/28/14 3:42 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Honestly, I think you're getting the cart before the horse.  You're not having surgery for several months, it will take you months to lose the weight and THEN you'll have to worry about maintenance when eating out with your family.   

I was eating out at restaurants within weeks of having my sleeve surgery.  My husband and I eat out frequently and I was easily able to pick something off a menu that would work for me (I didn't have to do full liquids/mushies/etc. like many on here do).  A lot of times it was something from the appetizer menu and I would always have to take leftovers home...and frequently got quizzed on whether or not I liked the food.  And that still happens to this day.   

The tips you've received on here so far are good:  check the menu online before you head out, decide on something and don't even look at the menu when you get there.  Ask for a box ahead of time so you can put half or more of the food in the box.   Eat real slow, pace yourself and enjoy the company.  You'll do fine :-)  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Brennasmom
on 10/28/14 11:26 am

Thank you for your advice. I have always been a planner and I do appreciate your words of wisdom. And thank you everyone else who has replied 😄

Brennasmom