Problems with Bariatric Surgeon - I desperately need some advice

Roseptl6465
on 10/26/14 4:52 am

Hi Eveyone,

I have been on my journey for quite sometime now.  However, I am now wondering about my surgeon.  I have a lot of doubts about him.  For example, I asked his front desk to make a copy of a letter I received from my general internist for The Y (to exercise).  Everyone in the front office got up and left.  I was beyond insulted.  Next issue, I get questioned about the dates of when I had my pre-op testing done.  I went to all of my tests, and wrote down all of the dates, etc.  Finally, after being accused of not following thru, this went on for several months,  I went to each doctor's office and got a copy of my results to literally hand the surgeon.  The doctors I saw all faxed to him my results.  How his staff "lost" my paperwork is beyond me.

This surgeon is very popular, but lacks quite a bit if you ask me.

I also failed my preop pych evaluation.  I was given a 3 hour test (all in writing) and I am very dyslexic.  Anyone who knows me, knows not to give me this sort of exam.  Yes, both the surgeon, and the social worker know I have learning disabilities.  I am at a loss on what to even say.  I am seeing another social worker for testing, and it is just ******g off the surgeon even moreso.  Why?  You got me.  I just want to have a life that is better than what I have now.  I am not moble at all.  I have been on his program since March, and have dropped 4 sizes so far.  I think he gets kickbacks from the protein water called Isopure.  I cannot tolerate it.  It has a heavy metal taste that reminds me of the seizure taste I get in my mouth prior to having a seizure.  Everytime I go to his office, there are no "attaboys" or anything positive said.  It is all negative. 

Much thanks,

A. Woods

Valerie G.
on 10/26/14 5:34 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

First step - call and ask for the office manager, and ask for a copy of your entire file to take to another surgeon's office.  This should get a response asking why - and explain that they are not treating their customer like they want their business.  That should get things kicking into gear.

If that doesn't work, call and complain to your insurance company, then ask to see another surgeon.  You should have a copy of your file now, so bring it to someone new.  It may cause a delay in your plans a little, but you don't deserve to be treated like that and sometimes they need a wakeup call.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kathkeb
on 10/26/14 5:36 am

You are a consumer.

If you are unhappy with the care or service you are receiving, make an appointment (in person or by phone) to discuss your issues with the surgeon and business manager to voice your concerns.

If you don't get satisfactory responses, take your business somewhere else.

Kath

NYMom222
on 10/26/14 2:33 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

The Americans with Disabilities Act require they make a reasonable accommodation for people with disabilities and that includes your dyslexia. A written test is not required. They can chose how to do the evaluation, they could just have a conversation with you and ask you questions.  Honestly if you don't want to continue with this surgeon, I would go to a seminar for another surgeon. Check a few out. If you decide to switch offices, let them send for your records. Just a thought. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

swimbikerun
on 10/26/14 8:47 pm

I am so very sorry A. Woods. Have you spoken to other bariatric offices and asked about their requirements?

Changing to a new blog. Please investigate your surgeon. Ask specific questions on after care, practice philosophies, office staff, nutrition, supplements, etc.

Jen Lyn
on 10/26/14 10:25 pm
RNY on 11/11/13

Member services can help you find another surgeon. Trust your gut. This is NOT the doctor for you.

I am amazed you have lost so much weight on preop.  If I could have done it without surgery, I totally would have.  Do you think you could lose more without surgery? 

TexasLady52
on 10/26/14 11:54 pm
Revision on 06/10/14

I had to have my surgery six hours away from my home because of my insurance requirements.  I had my pysch test over the phone.....it took about 30 minutes.  You do not have to be treated this way.  Ask for your records.....don't get upset with them....just ask nicely.  Make sure you have them in hand before you go to another doctor.  This will speed up the process.  We all deserve to be treated the same ....  as a human being.  After you get your records......tell them you do not appreciate the way they treated you!!!!  File a complaint on them!

Roseptl6465
on 11/7/14 12:29 pm

Thank you all for your great advice.  I did leave that surgeon.  He maybe popular, but lacks personality.  And that fact that he cannot select decent social workers or therapists to process the psych. exam to someone with learning disabilities drives the point home.

I did get another psych. evaluation which was far different than the first one.  I mean worlds different.  To this day, I really wonder if that therapist was high or stoned or drunk or something.  It really makes me wonder.

TexasLady52
on 11/7/14 10:43 pm
Revision on 06/10/14

YEA I am so glad you are moving foward.  You will find the one that is right for you and it will make the journey so much better!  Wishing you the best and keep all of us informed with your journey.