Bone disease and endocrinology and bariatric surgery medical research

swimbikerun
on 10/26/14 12:23 am

I do find most of these online but don't want to list them, in case some are pay for or free join links.

Bariatric Endocrinology: Principles of Medical Practice
J. Michael Gonzalez-Campoy, Bruce Richardson, Conor Richardson,
David Gonzalez-Cameron, Ayesha Ebrahim, Pamela Strobel, Tiphani Martinez, Beth Blaha,
Maria Ransom, Jessica Quinonez-Weislow, Andrea Pierson, and Miguel Gonzalez Ahumada

Changes in Bone Mineral Density After Sleeve Gastrectomy
or Gastric Bypass: Relationships with Variations in Vitamin D,
Ghrelin, and Adiponectin Levels
Fernando Carrasco & Karen Basfi-fer & Pamela Rojas &
Alejandra Valencia & Attila Csendes & Juana Codoceo &
Jorge Inostroza & Manuel Ruz

Metabolic Bone Disease in the Bariatric Surgery Patient
Susan E.Williams

Changing to a new blog. Please investigate your surgeon. Ask specific questions on after care, practice philosophies, office staff, nutrition, supplements, etc.

Gwen M.
on 10/26/14 1:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You know there are no links in your posts, right?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

swimbikerun
on 10/26/14 10:02 am

Yes. Done on purpose:

1) From OH's FAQ: "All links must not require the user to ‘join or register’ to access the information being linked to.  Any forum, blog, or other website that requires membership or registration to gain access is expressly forbidden to be linked to/from ObesityHelp message boards and chat rooms." This is NOT listed under the educational links. Medscape is one example of a place I use that requests free membership. It is open to all, whether MD or not. Its a great resource. That being said, I'm going to see if OH will allow a list of my medical resources and databases.

Medical librarians are wonderful people. I've had them call me long distance for us to look up references. People might want to check and see if they can get access at a local medical school. Some do allow this, especially community ones.

2) Past experiences. I'll do the above. When I went to BBGC on FB, I asked about putting up a file listing the medical databases, if that would be ok, as it was by the rules (at least nothing was said against it). I was told by the admin I spoke with, put it up, they'll remove it if they want. They did. I asked why, since I tried to get it approved before putting it up. No response. No links, it was just a list of those things (UpToDate being my favorite, you can google it and check it out).

3) I have either allowed personal copies or excerpts. I can't reproduce them (AFAIK) by law, so until I have concrete proof I can without disobeying the law, I post only the citation. I may take a few sentances or whatever, but they'll be sure to have the quote with them.

I'll see if I can't report this post to the OH admin and ask if they'll mind if I post something about encouraging people to use medical libraries and what they might find useful. There is a good amount of info that is generic and any one could understand. UpToDate has a patient area and then if you like the science, you can read the other part.

I really would like to see people taking advantage of the medical research. I have heard in the past people can't read things, but I disagree. You might have to dig a little more to makeup for what you don't know, but a good majority of things can be read by people with a high school degree. They can helped.

Changing to a new blog. Please investigate your surgeon. Ask specific questions on after care, practice philosophies, office staff, nutrition, supplements, etc.

Member Services
on 10/26/14 11:42 am - Irvine, CA

You can provide links as long as they are abide by the Terms of Services.  A link to a Facebook group would be pulled as FB groups are considered private and you have to have an account and login/join, which is agains the Terms of Services.

POSTING & CHAT ROOM

You agree that you will not use ObesityHelp.com to post any material which is knowingly false or defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, threatening, libelous, invasive of another member's privacy, or is otherwise in violation of any federal or state laws.

Linking to other sites

Users agree that the use of the message board and chat rooms is a privilege and not a right.  You agree by posting that you will not link to or otherwise engage in any action to entice or pull others from this community.  Links and references to websites that are similar to ObesityHelp are considered violations of our Terms of Service and will be removed.  The repeated use of such links and references by a member will be cause for an account to be placed on moderation.  Use of our PM system to spam or contact members for the purpose of promoting another site may result in a member’s PM access to be deactivated.  Deactivation of a member’s PM access is at the discretion of ObesityHelp.

Examples of acceptable use of personal linking include: links to your personal website, your personal blog, or your personal page that contains educational resource material.  All links must not require the user to ‘join or register’ to access the information being linked to.  Any forum, blog, or other website that requires membership or registration to gain access is expressly forbidden to be linked to/from ObesityHelp message boards and chat rooms.

Linking to educational, news, or published material.

Members may desire to support the community by sharing (linking) to educational, news, or other published content on the internet.  Such link sharing should only occur for the purpose of support.  Any commercial misuse or attempts to repetitively post the URL will be considered a breach of the Terms of Service and the account will be placed on moderation. 

swimbikerun
on 10/26/14 11:51 am

Thanks.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/27/14 10:35 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The abstract alone of the first article you linked has a Flesch-Kinkaid readability score of -17 (middle schoolers can handle 60+, college grads 0 - 30). NEGATIVE seventeen. Do you expect any of us laypeople to read this, much less make sense of it?

Current research on bone disease after WLS are best left to bariatric and/or orthopedic surgeons, especially those who explain this stuff to their patients on a daily basis.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gina 22 years out
on 10/27/14 11:22 pm - Burleson, TX

SWIM/BIKE/RUN---as a 12+ year postop "vet", I say this with the best of intentions:

While I ABSOLUTELY applaude research, etc--we must ALWAYS be our own best advocates-ALWAYS....but sometimes..as the old saying goes "A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing", and you can worry about stuff that isn't even a problem, while ignoring the REAL stuff...I advise getting off the internet, and taking a walk...EXERCISE will serve you well...this lifetime journey will have many, many twists and turns, and you don't want to burn yourself out, here at the beginning...

I have been a nurse for almost 40 yrs. and TRIED to read the articles, but didn't glean much USEFUL info from them. I can't see a lay person getting  whole lot, either

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/28/14 12:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Apparently OP's doctors quite literally told her to "get off the computer and relax," and it made her very angry and (I think) was one of the reasons she started protesting outside the surgeon's office. Don't have the link at hand.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 10/28/14 1:21 am - Warren, OH

What is this all about? 

Are you going to read all of these things and then report to us on them in layman's terms?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends