didn't follow post op diet. can I have a leak?

meghaneileen816
on 10/24/14 3:16 am

I am in my week 4 post op and haven't pureed much this week.  I am worried about perforating my staple line but have no symptoms. Thoughts?  How would I feel if I did have a problem?  Would I know? 

Member Services
on 10/24/14 3:28 am - Irvine, CA

What procedure have you had?  What is the progression of your surgeon's food plan?

Call your surgeon or nutritionist to check with them. 

meghaneileen816
on 10/24/14 3:32 am

I had a gastric sleeve

Mary Gee
on 10/24/14 4:48 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Why would you not follow your surgeon's plan?  Call your doctor if you are concerned.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

meghaneileen816
on 10/24/14 4:52 am

Its not like I didn't follow it completely. A few times I didn't puree my food. Lack of time. I have no symptoms 

Bubbles314
on 10/24/14 5:02 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Are you measuring and weighing your food? You really need to follow your plan.  My Dr said the reason he has us on pureed food for a week or two was to give our stomach a chance to heal.  And you can not trust it to know when it is full.  Good luck, you need to follow your plan.

meghaneileen816
on 10/24/14 5:04 am

I was on clear liquids week one,  week two and three I did puree. didnt get lax with it until week 4. And they want me on for another week. 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/24/14 5:21 am

You MUST follow your plan. It is imperative for long term success. Freestyling so early out does not bode well. We are all tight on time and have tons of commitments. That is life.

You likely didn't harm yourself, but talk to your doc if you are worried.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

poet_kelly
on 10/24/14 5:20 am - OH

I doubt you have a leak but I suggest calling your surgeon to make sure you are OK.  And I suggest sticking to the plan from now on.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisa167
on 10/24/14 5:33 am
VSG on 08/14/14

As other have said, it's really important to follow the plan.  Your doc doesn't want you to get a leak, or anything else.  I know the liquid/puree stage is no fun, I was on it myself for 4 weeks post-op.  But at the minimum have some yogurts or protein shakes on hand for when you're in a pinch that you can grab and go.

For what it's worth, my group said they've had a total of 2 leaks in the past.  When I asked the cause, they said it was from not adhering to the food plan.  Right there was motivation for me to stick to it.

Also, the nerves that were cut are still healing.  You can't depend on how it feels at this stage.

If you ever have any concerns, always consult your surgeon.