Traveling After Surgery

luxurycouture
on 10/22/14 1:24 pm

Hi, friends! I am still pre-op. I just had my final required dietician visit and was cleared, so my approval package will be submitted soon. Assuming that I get approved, I am not sure how far out my surgery will be booked. 

I am supposed to travel Jan 19-February 3rd to San Diego and then Puerto Rico. I am wondering, if given the opportunity to get a surgery between now and my departing date, will I be cutting it too close? I know I am probably better off waiting until I get back, but I am also wondering if anyone has traveled soon after surgery and how it was etc. 

Weigh in...

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

tlew
on 10/22/14 3:35 pm

I traveled 2 months after sugery and it was fine!

kathkeb
on 10/22/14 4:01 pm

Which surgery?

Many people travel home from Mexico just a few days after surgery, so the actual travel should be ok.

If you are really asking if you will feel well enoughg to travel for business or pleasure and be expected to be awake, alert and active for 10+ hours a day , that is another question.

Kath

Kate -True Brit
on 10/22/14 6:05 pm - UK

Depends which surgery. Two and a half months after banding, I spent three weeks trekking and wild camping in the desert in Africa, hundreds of miles from civilisation. With hindsight, I was totally insane. But everything was fne! I am not recommendin that! I really was stupid! Just never occurred to me not to! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Eggface
on 10/22/14 8:49 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

You will definitely be fine in San Diego as far as food options, Puerto Rico never been not sure. I'd carry my shaker bottle and some protein packets with me so you always have a back up protein source. Keep your water up. I walk a lot when I travel and since dehydration is one of the major reasons for re admittance post-op just be extra extra sure you are getting in the H20. Research your hotel for nearby supermarkets, restaurants in the hotel, ask about a fridge in your room. If you are roughing it... I'd definitely have that back up protein. Write down all your medical & Dr info (I might wear a medical alert bracelet) and have it with you jic especially if you are not traveling with family. Ultimately ask your Dr for the green light but I think your would be fine from at least 7 weeks out if your surgery is typical/no issues IMHO. Here's a few tips: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/09/trave ling-post-op.html that have helped me.

Have fun!!

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Valerie G.
on 10/22/14 10:57 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

How "engaged" would you like to be on this trip?  I was extremely listless the first six weeks, so if I were to travel during that time, it would have been just me sitting in a chair nodding on and off to sleep.  My recovery was perfect - but I'm a cheap date to anesthesia and it took me that long to shake off the fog.  I would say if you're 6 weeks out or more, you may start enjoying yourself, but be prepared to tire easily still.  Then there's eating/vitamins/bathroom routines to consider getting used to if you're getting RNy or DS. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jastypes
on 10/23/14 2:20 am - Croydon, PA

I went away on a missions trip 3 weeks after surgery and was fine, but I didn't have to fly.  There may be some concern with that.  Check with your surgeon's office! 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

luxurycouture
on 10/23/14 12:28 pm

thank you, everyone for your input!

i should clarify that this trip is for vacation, so the goal would be to be able to be free of restrictions. 

I probably should just schedule the surgery after vacation, although it would be lovely to be a little thinner before I go! Lol 

luxurycouture
on 10/23/14 12:28 pm

thank you, everyone for your input!

i should clarify that this trip is for vacation, so the goal would be to be able to be free of restrictions. 

I probably should just schedule the surgery after vacation, although it would be lovely to be a little thinner before I go! Lol 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/24/14 6:39 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It's not uncommon to be completely exhausted for several weeks-- or even a month or two-- after surgery. Our bodies have a lot of adjusting to do, between healing from surgery and running on far fewer calories. Personally, I felt like I'd been hit by a bus and took naps every day after work for about 6 weeks; YMMV.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!