Current Medications and GBP

RitaL
on 10/21/14 12:01 am, edited 10/20/14 1:12 pm

I'm new to this forum and waiting on my insurance to approve surgery since I've completed all requirements. I will be having a revision from lap band to GBP.  I'm really concerned about meds I currently take. A beta blocker, thyroid and Zoloft. I have to take these meds after surgery while in the hospital and wondering what experience others have had. I cannot miss a day taking any of these.  Think I'm more concerned about this than the procedure. 

poet_kelly
on 10/21/14 12:05 am - OH

I took all my usual meds in the hospital after surgery.  The hospital pharmacy should have those in stock for you, but you can call in advance to check or just take yours with you if you are concerned.  But those are all typical meds any hospital pharmacy should have in stock.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RitaL
on 10/21/14 12:09 pm

Thank you. My Dr told me I could take them but didn't explain how or if it would be a couple of days.  Since I take a beta blocker for my BP I know I cannot just stop taking cold turkey. Been there and done that and never want to go through that again. 

I will take any comments and advice. Should be any day on my approval. 

poet_kelly
on 10/21/14 12:12 pm - OH

Don't stop taking the zoloft cold turkey either.  It can have side effects if you do, plus surgery is stressful enough, it's not a good time to be without your meds.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RitaL
on 10/21/14 12:19 pm

That's what I'm worried about. I don't want to bring on other issues and my Zoloft works perfect for me. 

saterry
on 10/21/14 2:36 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

And if for some unforeseen reason you become too nauseated to swallow pills, beta blockers and thyroid meds can be given IV while in the hospital.

We do it all the time.......

Discuss your medications with your surgeon to alleviate your concerns and have a plan.

Good luck ! Breathe, plan and get ready for your new life !

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

RitaL
on 10/21/14 12:12 pm

Had no idea they could give those type of meds by IV so that makes me feel better. I've had thyroid cancer and don't want to be without that med.

Thank you :)

MsBatt
on 10/21/14 2:50 am

You might want to talk with your pharmacist about where in the gut your meds are meant to be absorbed. If they're intended to be absorbed in the duodenum, you're probably going to have to adjust your dosing after your RNY/gastric bypass. Have you considered the Sleeve?

RitaL
on 10/21/14 12:16 pm

I talked to my Dr about the sleeve and he said RNY would be better for me. I will be having a revision since I had lap band in 2008. I'm 57, 232lb & 4'11". 

RitaL
on 10/21/14 12:25 pm

Good suggestion about talking to pharmacist, never thought about that and I will do it.