How Long Did It Take You To Get A Surgery Date From The First Step Towards WLS?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/24/14 6:34 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Every insurance plan is different, you'll need to contact your provider. It's not uncommon for BMI 40+ to be approved with no cormorbidities, but there may be other conditions required as well.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

C H
on 10/23/14 1:06 pm

My surgeon gave me a list of things I needed and some they were able to sign the request forms that didn't need authorization such as the chest xray and ekg, the endoscopy needed to be approved so my primary doctor had to submit for approval.

ANGELINA6501
on 10/23/14 1:28 pm
VSG on 12/16/14

I began the process at the end of April; a 6 month structured program having to have a meeting with the NUT each month (3 were one on one, 3 were group sessions). My clinic knows each insurer's requirements and adjusts the pre-op testing accordingly. There were a few tests that I had done within the previous year, so they counted those and I didn't have to do them again. After I met with my surgeon on Oct 16, she determined I needed 2 additional tests; I will be meeting with the anesthesiologist Nov 28 and then another appt with the surgeon Dec 4. Surgery is scheduled for Dec 16. Insurance will be submitted one month previous; Nov 16.

As far as the sleep study and the referral issues, I would start to get a little testy - perhaps they will squeeze you in. Especially if it is a home test, they should be able to get you scheduled quickly; it isn't like you are taking up a bed at the sleep clinic. Be persistent!

As for my personal experiences, I have had to deal with issues relating to transferring mental health records. Even though I personally handed them to the nurse, they had no record of them. I finally went to the office manager and was very explicit about the problem and I had to slightly elevate my voice so that they knew I was really serious. I was tactful, but firm.

Good Luck, let us know how it all goes!

~Angela

VSG 12/16/2014   HW: 309 / SW: 280 / CW: 226