All you can eat sushi! BAD IDEA!

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/14 11:21 pm - RIVERDALE, NJ

Well I finally gave into my hunger and went to an all you can eat sushi place!  It was so gooood!  :-( Now the guilt and shame has taken over me.  Trust and believe I will not be getting on the scale for a couple days I dont want to beat my self up any more than I already did.  This is why I cant wait to have the vsg done.  Trust and believe I know you can still gain weight with it but atleast when I have my 1 binge every couple months it wont be so bad. The guilt is in full effect

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/18/14 11:35 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I am not trying to lambaste you, but I am going to be honest.  Please know that it comes from a place of wishing the best for you -- and not from just being critical.

Surgery is a wonderful tool, but it doesn't address how our heads think and feel about food.  The question I would ask myself if I were you is this: why is it that I feel the need to "binge"?  Why did I choose an all-you-can-eat style sushi place?  Moreover, if I made the choice and planned to eat this way, why do I now feel guilty?  How is that guilt healthy for me? 

You know, most of us didn't become obese because we made great food choices.  One thing that has really helped me both before and after surgery is talking with a counselor that specializes in eating disorders and compulsions.  I have really found that the way we view food, our relationships with eating and the guilt we feel when out of control are all components that sabotage what we really want.

You mention guilt and shame -- and then literally plan to binge every so often?  Why?  

Consider working on these things now.  You can never have too many tools in your toolbox.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Lisarn1
on 10/19/14 12:19 am - Raleigh, NC

I absolutely adore sushi! Or, more specifically sashimi. I think that the other poster is correct when she suggested that you try to address your relationship with food, and how that affects your choices. Please try to remember that this surgical tool is simply a means to making lifestyle changes.

This is not a temporary fix, but rather a new way to live. Planning "binges" is a good way to set you up for failure, in that you are already looking at your meal planning as a temporary fix. Take my word for it, this is not temporary. These lifestyle changes are not like any other diet plan you've tried in the past. Before, if you fell off the wagon, you could shrug it off and move on. With WLS, however, allowing for planned binges can not only set you up for failure, but it can cause you internal damage, as well. Please be careful with your choices, and try to find someone to hash out your thoughts about food management and meal planning.

Lisa :)

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Gwen M.
on 10/19/14 1:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you seeing a therapist?  It's all too easy for us to fall into patterns of self sabotage, shame, and guilt spirals that can be very challenging to get back out of.  The VSG will not fix any of that, but therapy can help.  

I know that I'm very glad I spent the time pre-op to find a therapist I clicked with, so that the relationship and habit of seeing her were already in place by the time I had surgery.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/14 3:15 am - RIVERDALE, NJ

Hey guys yes I do see a therapist...I know surgery isn't going to fix my head but kind of like damage control.  It was sort of planned biggest thing is just doing to much damage.  I hardly ever binge the last 8 months after loosing this 100lbs and far in between.  Its really getting to the point of just not doing it all.  Its been explained that its practically imposible.  I dunno every day I'm going to keep chugging along and just pick up were I left off..Thanx for all the suggestions!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/19/14 6:29 am - OH

It isn't "practically impossible" to binge after surgery (whether RNY or VSG) except for early out.  You will likely make yourself sick, but some people still do it even though they get sick (just as some people with RNY still eat something sugary knowing that it is going to make them dump).

The fact that you are planning to still have occasional binges concerns me as the others have already expressed.  Yes, binging less is an improvement, but it is still very concerning that you are planning for it to continue at all.  (Have you gotten your psych clearance for surgery yet?)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

tstowe
on 10/19/14 3:54 am

Isn't it strange how "All You Can Eat" can turn from something soooo good to soooo bad? lol

Remember, after the surgery, a binge will be painful. I've been on solid foods for about two weeks now and I have to REALLY watch it. I weigh my food. Two ounces of protein and two of vegetables. About 50% of the time I can't fini**** And I've found (the hard way) that if I feel full I'd better STOP or get ready to feel sick for an hour and possibly throw up.

.... but I soooo miss sushi. :O)

Chilipepper
on 10/19/14 3:56 am

When is your surgery?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/19/14 5:08 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Just what do you mean by binge? A splurge is one thing a binge is totally different, at least to me anyway. A splurge can lead to a binge if you're not careful. The sleeve or any wls can only do but so much, especially if you have in your head to do a binge. Perhaps plan a treat instead. It'll be something small & controlled for now & maybe in the future you won't feel a need to plan a treat around food but you'll do something different instead. Spa?

You can have sushi but try to go for the kind that doesn't have rice in it or eat more of just the fish, sashimi?

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/14 6:46 am - RIVERDALE, NJ

maybe binge is the wrong word...to me a binge is eating more than i normaly eat.  Cheat meal plus some extra.  Probaly would say more of cheat meal.  The all you can eat was probally the most I ate in a long time.  I didnt get to 420 by not being able to eat.  I love food.  I will always love it just dont want it to control my life.  And yes I got cleared by the physc.  Surg said were going to shoot for dec for my surgery.  So maybe binge was the wrong word either way eating more than im supposed to always has a negative effect on my life not just weight but how it makes me feel..thanks for all the input guys love to here all the suggestions