Neurologic issues after 1 year out

swimbikerun
on 10/22/14 6:23 am

I started complaining to my PCP (doc in a box) about neurologic issues. I had the sleeve and other GI issues, with malnutrition and vitamin problems ever since the surgery. The doc said that in the medical literature there can be complications so go back and work with your surgeon. The surgeon said "he didn't have any knowledge of a global weakness being associated with bariatric surgery". Well the regular doc seemed to be the one who knew what it was, but the internist that the bariatric surgeon sent me to thought it was MS (and they've ruled out everything known). Below, if any one should need it, is a list of some of the problems that can occur due to malnutrition and other deficiencies neurologically, so if a surgeon doesn't know about/recognize complications, at least here is research you can give them or another doctor (neurologist) who can follow up.

1) Muscle Nerve. 2010 November ; 42(5): 709–714. doi:10.1002/mus.21802.
Good Nutritional Control May Prevent Polyneuropathy after
Bariatric Surgery

2) OBES SURG (2014) 24:1800–1807
DOI 10.1007/s11695-014-1376-x
Neurological Complications of Bariatric Surgery

3) Neuropathy and the Gastrointestinal System
Russell L. Chin, MD

4) Neurology 2004, Oct 26; 63(8):1462-70.
A controlled study of peripheral neuropathy after bariatric surgery.

5) Nutritional Neuropathy by Jasvinder Chawla, MD, MBD,

6) Journal of Family & Community Medicine 2011 Sep-Dec 18(3): 162-164
doi: 10.4103/2330-B229.90020
Peripheral polyneuropathy after bariatric surgery for morbid obesity.

7) Neurological Review
The Neurological Complications of Bariatric Surgery
Joseph Berger, MD

8) Journal of Obesity
Volume 2012, Article ID 608534, 8 pages
doi: 10.1155/2012/608534
The neurological complications of nutritional deficiency following bariatric surgery
Danielle A. Becker (et all)

Changing to a new blog. Please investigate your surgeon. Ask specific questions on after care, practice philosophies, office staff, nutrition, supplements, etc.

TheNewT
on 10/22/14 6:38 am
VSG on 08/04/14

Thanks for this. I had VSG 8/4/14. For the past few weeks I have had weird sensations down the front of my body. The surgeon said that the nerves that were covered with fat pads are now exposed with the rapid weight loss. I had blood work done with my PCP and he suggested I take Iron, D3, and a complex B vitamin. Other than those things being a little low, I checked out OK.

It is a total pain in my a$$. The entire front of my body from chest to feet, including under my feet, are either super sensitive, numb, or feel like they are asleep. Do you know how hard it is to walk when your feet feel asleep??? I asked another person who had surgery in December and he experienced the same thing. It lasted a few months and then went away. Really hoping mine will go away soon.

Zzzombrie
on 10/22/14 6:53 pm

Some scary stuff for sure. I never thought about the possibility of nerve damage from carrying around too much fat but I suppose it's entirely possible. Nerves do feel mighty strange when they're reconnecting. Perhaps a physical therapist would be of better help to you. Good luck and I hope things get better for you.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/22/14 11:12 pm

Most of the neurological issue you quote are caused by nutritional deficiencies... And that is a patient fault by not eating properly and not supplementing... 

Info is out there... You have it, and you were 3-year med student...typically more than average IQ.. So i don't get why didn't you shipment enough? Why do you need doc to tell you how you feel?   If i can get labs that i need - i order them privately..it is expensive ...but way cheaper that neurological complications.  If taking water soluble vitamins - 10x more than required to avoid deficiencies is the way to do...i will do it..

You are, or were smart enough to know that... So why didn't you?  by blame others for not holding your hand? 

When i had days i could not eat much - i chocked down as many liquid proteins as I could. And multi vitamins. Any form my body were able to keep.    Just to avoid nutritional deficiencies... It is my life, my health.. I am responsible for it.... By example i reach my docs what i need...what works for me..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

swimbikerun
on 10/22/14 11:52 pm

I had gastroparesis before the surgery, known to the surgeon, and still after. Diagnosed with IBS after the surgery by GI's, food intolerances by an allergist and internist after the surgery to fish, shellfish, nuts, tree nuts, dairy and gluten. For starters.

I find it helpful to ask questions first or give the benefit of the doubt to people. I find that most overweight or formerly overweight people have been judged enough by society, so I'd rather spend my time helping them.

Changing to a new blog. Please investigate your surgeon. Ask specific questions on after care, practice philosophies, office staff, nutrition, supplements, etc.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/23/14 3:23 am

You may look into SIBO... Recently it is getting more and more attention.  More studies show connection between that and many many other issues including gut motility, ibs, fibromyalgia, food allergies, neurological issues due to malabsorbtion of minerals and vitamins.  IMO t is very hard to find a doc who knows much or anything about that and can help with identifying and dealing with it.  

I have an appointment with one of those in mid November... I hope if she can help me, i could let my bariatric doc know about her, so he can learn from that, 

But i still believe it is my job to advocate for myself and find out what is going on.  

I had to change a few docs until i found one who it's willing to work with me to help me find out whis going on. 

One of my doc i was 10 months on a waiting list before she could see me. It was worth the wait.  

Finding an answer. Not picketing in front of doc office. I rather spend my time and money finding what is wrong with me, than protesting, baking cakes, and calling people who apparently can not help me.  

I am just one patient. My body and issues are unique. I can't expect every doc knowing what is going on with me. I don't.  They are human. 

Btw - the doc i am waiting to be seen by specialize in "functional medicine"... What ever that is called. If she is not able to help me. I will keep searching...or i help myself. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/23/14 6:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I find that the best help is from talking to a doctor-- NOT rooting around through PubMed and insurance codes on your own.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Valerie G.
on 10/23/14 7:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Still no excuse to NOT take care of yourself...sorry.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Grim_Traveller
on 10/23/14 1:28 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I have severe peripheral neuropathy, so I can tell you first hand it's not a lot of fun. But the surgery, malnutrition or vitamin deficiencies didn't cause it. It was from Type 2 diabetes prior to surgery.

WLS and massive weightloss stopped the neuropathy from getting worse. And it looks like I'll still have both feet attached when I get older. I'm sure amputation is a *****

Anyone thinking that WLS is to blame for their issues should think long and hard about the complications they would have by remaining morbidly obese. It's an easy decision. If you are suffering from malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies, you need to work harder to make sure those problems are taken care of. It's our responsibility, not yhe doctor.

The vast majority of these issues are completely within our control. For the very, very small number of postops who suffer complications beyond your control, you have my sympathy.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

TexasTerritory
on 10/23/14 7:21 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I don't think you are giving a complete history online. Neurological conditions can result from a zillion factors. WLS cannot be the cause of every single problem one encounters.