3 yrs since surgery and I'm gaining so much weight

PetrolinaJ
on 10/18/14 6:14 pm, edited 10/18/14 6:16 pm

i had weight loss surgery about 3 yts ago. I went from 240 to my lowest being 167. I had a baby almost 2 yts ago and I can't seem to get tthe weight off. I'm now back up to 214 lbs. I'm sad and desperate...I'm hungry all the time. I can't b the only one this has happened to. Thoughts please...

Kate -True Brit
on 10/18/14 6:45 pm - UK

You really need to tell us which surgery you had and what the current problem is. Grazing? Portion size? Unhealthy foods? Liquid calories? 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

PetrolinaJ
on 10/18/14 6:58 pm

I has the sleeve. I feel like everything is the problem. I can't control portion size anymore. I eat something healthyvthen about 30 min later I'm hungry all over again and just want carbs. How can I get back on track. 

Laura in Texas
on 10/18/14 11:33 pm

Yes you can. Measure your portions and track your food. Find something else to occupy your time besides eating. Stop eating so many carbs and for most of us the cravings subside. If you really want to lose, do what it takes and stop making excuses.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Gwen M.
on 10/19/14 1:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hunger can often be caused by acid.  Are you taking a PPI such as prilosec or nexium?  

You CAN control portion size.  Are you seeing a therapist to help with the mental aspects of all of this?  

Are you eating dense proteins like chicken, fish, beef, and pork?  Those will keep you more full than sliders such as yogurt and carbs.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kate -True Brit
on 10/18/14 7:04 pm - UK

I'm banded not sleeved so I am sure some sleeved people will be able to help you more than I can - I didn't realise, for example, that it was possible for you to eat large portions so you need VSG people to help you there.

But if you are feeling hungry and craving carbs, I have two suggestions.  One is go cold turkey with carbs - for many people carbs trigger cravings. The other is to try sone sort of behaviour therapy, either individually or as part of a group. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Ktrip2
on 10/18/14 7:08 pm

I had sleeve 2 yrs ago went from 263 to 192 I never reached my goal weight which is 150 I now weigh 211 I've gained almost 20lbs and it's scary but I must be honest I went back to old habits snacking and eating sweets, not excercising regularly it's depressing but I have to get back on track I refuse to have wls and regain my weight back so you be encouraged you are not alone and you can get back on track me 2, we can succeed we just must go back to the basics, have a blessed day!

Mary Gee
on 10/18/14 9:18 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

You've got to back to basics.  I'm sure it's a lot harder now that you have a little one to take care of, and that takes a lot of energy too.  But you have to face facts - if you don't change things, you'll be back where you started.  Get out your paperwork and review it, and follow your doctor's plan.  Weigh and measure your food, and journal everything.  Plan ahead.  Get rid of carbs, etc.

No, you're not the only one this has happened too.  There's a "Back on Track Together" board.  On the blue bar, click on "My OH" and then you'll see "Groups" - click on that and you'll see a blue box that says "Find A Group".

Hope you can turn things around and get things going in the right direction again!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

JB1114
on 10/19/14 1:50 am - Grain Valley, MO

I had RNY 6 years ago, lost 70 lbs. and have maintained that weight although I go up and down a few pounds.  I know nothing about the sleeve but I do think you can take control.  Go back to what you do right after surgery.  Sounds like to me you are probably eating too many carbs.  If I eat something carby like cereal or bread, I'm hungry within a hour.  If you are consuming bad carbs, break the habit. 

Just think how great you felt when you lost the weight, looking better, feeling better, being able to wear smaller sizes.  You are in control of what goes in your mouth.  Promise to only eat healthy foods.  There is usually a post on the RNY board with menus each day so there's probably menus posted on the sleeve board (assuming there is a sleeve board).

You want to be healthy for your child. 

Good luck to you.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Amy R.
on 10/19/14 2:31 am, edited 10/19/14 2:34 am

I just want to echo what Jo said.  I too had a (admittedly odd form of) RnY, not the sleeve.  Mine was almost six years ago.  Our surgeries become much less different than yours after we lose our malabsorption at about two years out.  We have our "pouch" and you have your "sleeve stomach".  They are much the same, many times just different shapes and/or made from different parts of our original stomach.

All this to tell you that I have bad and good news:  The bad  news is, weight loss all comes down to calories in vs calories out for 99.9999% of us a few years postop.  The good news is, we still have our smaller stomachs - unless you've stretched yours, which I understand is well nigh impossible with the sleeve - so we get full faster.  My problem, and maybe yours too, is that I don't have to feel hungry to want to eat.  Thus the weight gain, even with the small stomach.

Personally, I gained over 40 pounds last year.  I lost it (and actually a little more) when I decided I was going to eat the way my body needed me to eat for life.  No diet, no 5 Day pouch test, no drugs, no counting carbs or calories or fats, no nothing except eating protein first and produce second.  I eat carbs last if I have room OR I eat them like I would eat a condiment, just a bite or two.  Literally.  One or two bites of carbs.  It took a while for me to lose and I surprised myself by being fine with that.  I knew I wasn't going to eat any differently after the weight came back off so I was in no rush to lose the re-gain just so I could start gobbling carbs again. 

I'm not on a "diet".  I have a glass of wine here and there, or a bite of dessert - I'm human after all - but I watch it and have learned to be mindful.  I didn't re-gain my 40+ pounds by having a few sips of wine or three bites of a cookie.  I gained because I was grazing and eating simple carbs.

YOU can do this!!!!  You can do hard things.  The hardest part is starting, so just start.  Right  now.  Don't wait till Monday or next week or Christmas.  Start right now, at 9:30am on this beautiful Sunday, regardless of what you've already eaten.  What matters is what you *will* eat the next time your body needs food.

Hang in there and post like a maniac if it helps. Just get started.  =)

amy

edited for spelling and such.