loose skin

1slusher1
on 10/17/14 1:38 pm

So I'm barely out from my sleeve surgery. I have been seeing a lot where you really need skin removed after the weight loss. My question is how can you afford it? Does insurance or medicare ever cover this?

Poodlemac
on 10/17/14 1:56 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Good question!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/17/14 1:58 pm - OH

Usually, the only skin removal covered by insurance is a panniculectomy (which is removal of the excess skin below the belly button IF it causes rashes or other issues (and, depending on insurance requirements, hangs down a certain amount). It doesn't cover any muscle tightening, and doesn't cover any excess skin above the waist.  

People often pay additional money out of their own pocket to have the extra skin above the waist removed at the same time as a panniculectomy is done.

Insurance almost never covers removal of excess skin on the arms, thighs, butt, or back. As far as how people pay for it, well... A few are lucky enough to have bank accounts that allow them to just write a check or hand over a credit card; some start saving a little bit on a regular basis right away after their WLS; some take out medical loans from places like CareCredit; a few borrow against their retirement accounts or from family members; some simply don't have the skin removal because they just cannot find a way to afford it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kate -True Brit
on 10/17/14 6:24 pm - UK

From what I read on here, your insurance companies are like our (British) Health Service.  Skin will only be removed in cases of medical necessity.

Document and photo any rashes/infections etc in foods of skin. May help!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Valerie G.
on 10/18/14 2:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I still have my skin - and a lycra undergarment smoothes everything in the right places so you would never know.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

1slusher1
on 10/18/14 5:44 am

Well mine will be worst below the belly button. I have a large  hysterectomy scar that devides my stomach, it looks awful. Thats for the infor girls.

Valerie G.
on 10/19/14 5:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm well past being all concerned about how I look under my clothes.  It's a hot mess, but I can look like $1million bucks dressed. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

TheNewT
on 10/20/14 1:53 am
VSG on 08/04/14

My insurance covers belly button down, if there are problems (rashes, hanging that disrupts daily routine). I have made some investments. So if the skin is bad, I will use that $ to pay for it. If I can live with it, then I'll just have some extra money down the road. I'm only 11 weeks out and 37 years old, so I have a few more years to save up.