Weight gain after 5 months?

midwestmommy
on 10/17/14 2:12 am

Hi everyone-

Even though I read through posts, this is the first time I've posted something myself.  On Sunday the 19th, I will be 5 months out from gastric bypass surgery.  I  am female, 5'10", started with a BMI of 40 and since surgery have lost 65.3 pounds.  Last week, I stayed the same on the scale and this week, I have gained 1.5 lbs.   Should this be happening only 5 months out?  I don't want to overly dwell on it, but I just wanted to see if you all thought this could be normal during this process.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Melanie

Tracy D.
on 10/17/14 3:52 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi Melanie - congratulations on doing such a great job during the first 5 months.  A weight fluctuation of 2-3 lbs. on the scale after this long post-op is nothing to worry about.  We retain water for a multitude of reasons and a half-gallon of water weighs 4 lbs.  If you are eating exactly on plan, getting your sleep, drinking all your water and moving every day this 1.5 lbs. is NOT fat -- it's simply water and will come off.   

It's perfectly normal - stay off the scale for a few days and if it persists start taking your measurements.  Our bodies will often hang onto water when making the biggest (in inches) changes! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

midwestmommy
on 10/17/14 4:43 am

Hi Tracy-

Thank you for your reply.  This is helpful and I won't worry too much about it since I am staying on track with all of my guidelines. 

Thanks again!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/17/14 4:47 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I just wanted to agree with the pp.  I have fluctuated up to 2 pounds in a day or two -- depending on so many things --- If it were 5 pounds, perhaps I'd be a little concerned.  YOU know if you are on plan.  If you are, you've nothing to be concerned about.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

NYMom222
on 10/17/14 2:16 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

If this is the first time you are hitting a plateau or weight fluctuation- good for you. Totally normal. Just like you said, keep on doing what you are supposed to.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save