Restricted throat???

Willie H.
on 10/18/14 9:35 am
VSG on 08/26/14

8 weeks since surgery and for the most part doing ok. This forum has helped me a lot., Today I have a very different problem? For some reason it appears as if my throat or stomach has closed up? I cannot hardly get anything down, even water I can only do a little at a time. i first noticed it playing golf yesterday after eating 1/2 an orange and then again later on in trying to eat turkey chili. Then this morning in trying to drink a protein shake and eat oatmeal.  I'm getting headaches and i'm pretty weak not being able to hold anything down. All i could get down to today was 1/4 cup oatmeal, a protein shake, 16 oz water and a vanilla yogurt

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Gwen M.
on 10/18/14 10:22 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Does your surgeon have a 24/7 help line you can call?  If not, I'd probably be going to ER in your shoes. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Lady1000
on 10/18/14 10:52 am

which surgery do you have ? 

5 years of waiting and I finally have my sleeve!!!!

Dr Rodolofo Wilhelmy VSG September 2014 

Karen M.
on 10/18/14 11:49 am, edited 10/18/14 11:49 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hmmm... your situation sounds very familiar to me. I developed a stricture at around 4 or 5 weeks post-op RNY. It got to the point that I couldn't even ge****er down - I did have minimal success with warm tea. Please contact your surgeon, as it is very easily fixed if it is a stricture. I had a balloon dilation endoscopy to stretch the stoma back to where it should be. Luckily, my stoma didn't try to close back over and I was able to continue on as expected with no further issues.

Contact your surgeon.

Good luck!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Poodlemac
on 10/18/14 1:00 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

What causes strictures?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/18/14 2:17 pm - OH

Scar tissue on the stoma between the pouch and the intestine.  Your profile doesn't say which surgery, but if you had RNY (the only surgery that has a man-made stoma instead of utilizing the natural pyloric valve), you should contact your surgeon's office ASAP, because if it is a stricture, it will not resolve (and may very well get worse).  

The only thing that they can do for a stricture, other than give you IV fluids so you don't get dehydrated, is go in with a  scope and stretch out (loosen) the scar tissue on the stoma.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kate -True Brit
on 10/18/14 10:51 pm - UK

Depends on which surgery you have had. But if you can't swallow, whichever surgery, get medical advice. 

If you are banded, oranges can cause problems because of the fibrous bits. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Willie H.
on 10/18/14 11:05 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Thank you all. I seemed to be doing better today. I was able to drink a protein shake at 6:00 am this morning, and I just ate a scrambled egg w/ cheese. This seems to happen to me periodically and I'm starting to see it appears after a very hard work out or after a long exercise-such as golf? Maybe dehydration?Then again, it was after I ate a orange so maybe it is the fibrous pulp. I also experience a sour stomach from time to time and yes I am still taking PPI's. Guess, I just have to keep learning from trial and error and all of your wonderful experiences. The key is that I am on track, I am losing weight but of course I want to be healthy so I do have concerns at times. Thank you ALL VERY much!!!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Gila2015
on 10/18/14 11:53 pm

I have a very difficult time drinking or eating in the am. I start each morning with a cup of hot tea. It relaxes my digestive system. Additionally I drink 20 oz of water before I eat solid food. I typically don't want to drink anything after I eat so getting the water in early really helps me. stay away from oranges!!!! :-)

Kate -True Brit
on 10/19/14 12:06 am - UK

Willie, if you put your surgery into your profile it will appear at the top of every post you make. That means people are better able to help you. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,