New member. Nervous.

LichVan
on 10/17/14 8:00 am - Thunder bay, Canada

Hi everyone. I was about to say I'm just starting my weight loss journey, but that's not true. It's been years in the making with no success. 

To those of you who have already gotten the surgery or are scheduled.. what are some hardships you faced? How did you feel before? How did you feel after? Were you a smoker before? How did you quit? How hard was it? What were/are some major fears and how did you get over them..or feel better about them?

I am extremely nervous. I haven't even had orientation yet, but it is scheduled for November 3rd. I'm a smoker, trying to find the best way to quit. I'm hoping it'll be easy..ish.. because I'm quitting for me, my health, and my family. I am so TERRIFIED of dying during or after surgery due to complications. I've looked at the stats and I know the chances are slim but I can't help but think that "what if" I'm that slim-chance-stat. Ahhhh 

I'm excited to get to know you guys!

1slusher1
on 10/17/14 8:59 am

Hi I had my sleeve surgery oct 2nd, and I to was nervous. I have mourned over giving up food. But it is getting much better and I'm seeing a change in my body.The day of my surgery I was not nervous at all. I felt a peace with God that it would be alright.As for smoking please follow what your doc has told u on that, my surgeon said that smoking is one of the worse things that you can do to your sleeve and prevent healing. H e even went as far as to say to not even be around second hand smoke. And said he would cancel surgery if his patient didn't quite, he said after the six week healing process then it would be your choice. With God's help we can do this...BEST WISHES!

LichVan
on 10/17/14 9:58 am - Thunder bay, Canada

Thank you for the kind words, and sharing some experiences and insight.. Good luck to you on your continuing journey!

Member Services
on 10/17/14 9:02 am - Irvine, CA

Welcome to the OH Community.  We're glad that you're a member.

It is best if you quit smoking ASAP.....now.  Many surgeons are hesitant or flat out won't do surgery on a smoker.  Surgeons will require a pre-op be smoking-free for 3-6 months.  Even if your surgeon doesn't require it, you're having WLS to improve your health.  Part of that is being a non-smoker to maximize your healthy lifestyle.

We recommend that you check the reviews for your surgeon.  Go to the looking glass (Search) to the left of "My OH" on the top blue navigation bar.  Type in your surgeon's name to check out his or her OH profile.  Reading about your surgeon and the patient reviews is important.

Again, welcome to OH!!

LichVan
on 10/17/14 9:59 am - Thunder bay, Canada

Thanks so much! Quitting smoking is a top priority of mine.. I'm just not sure how to do it! 

1slusher1
on 10/17/14 1:20 pm

My sister's took the pill and they quit, I cannot think of the name right now. I feel your pain on quiting. I use to smoke and have been quit since 2000 and it is hard.

AmbeyJ
on 10/17/14 11:30 pm
with

I just had RNY this week on October 14.  My surgery was first thing in the morning and I felt as expected, sore and uncomfortable the rest of the day but I was able to enjoy my visitors.  The second day was complete hell, due to the pressure in my body from the gas.  I couldnt sleep, couldnt move, let alone walk as they insisted I did, couldnt breathe, I could go on and on.  But Thursday morning, the gas started to break up, I was willingly walking for 30 minutes, off pain and nausea meds (except for Tylenol to relieve the massive headache I had as a side effect of pain meds) and ready to go home!  I am lucky to have a wonderful surgeon with a great team and hospital facility.  It is now Saturday and except for some soreness getting up and down, I feel good and am having no trouble getting fluids in.  It is some work to get all the vitamins in and I do get light headed easily but I expect both to improve in the upcoming week.  I was a heavy smoker in college and was able to quit fairly easily after I had a blood clot.  Between the pain and the fear the doctors instilled in me and the smoke free week in the hospital, it was fairly cold turkey.  Of course, after that is when I started to pack on the weight.  I am a dental hygienist and many patients have had success with Chantix and Wellbutrin. Nicorette and hypnotism have also worked for some.  I dont recommend the e-cigs but have heard they are a stepping stone for quitting.  If you can quit, you can do anything!  Your body needs to be able to heal after surgery and smoking just isnt going to allow it.  You can do it!!! Talk to your pcp and see what his/her recommendation is. Good luck! You got this!

LichVan
on 10/18/14 7:53 am - Thunder bay, Canada

Thank you so much!! and Congratulations on your surgery and best wishes for the rest of your recovery!