Newbie, insurance coverage...So Cal doctor?

jessmomto3
on 10/15/14 11:12 pm

Hey everyone,

I am so fed up with my weight and too young to feel like this. I think I am ready to get information about weight loss surgeries and start the process. It seems very overwhelming. I don't currently have good insurance. I have insurance through CoveredCa/ObamaCare and picked the most minimal/cheapest Silver plan - Health Net. I am curious to know, has anybody gotten approved with Health Net? It's open enrollment right now and I can change to a different insurance plan. They would cost more, but I might consider paying more to go with an insurance company who will approve my surgery. Any advice on the best provider? 

With that said, I would love recommendations to a So Cal/Inland Empire doctor. Researching doctors seems to be a bit overwhelming, too. I have even considered financing the procedure if my insurance doesn't cover. I am looking into the VSG. 

Lastly, I wonder if I will even be approved. I believe I am a candidate based of weight and body fat, but my weight has not caused any specific health problems. 

Member Services
on 10/16/14 4:39 am - Irvine, CA

Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey.   ​ We suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon.  We can help you with that.     ​​ Here are some links that will be helpful in your research.​​

​If you have not done so, contact your insurance company and verify if they cover WLS and if so what procedures.​  If you have Medicaid and or Medicare, contact them to verify if they cover WLS, if so, what procedures and if there are any pre-surgery qualifications you have to meet.  Ask for a list of surgeons in your area that take your insurance then we can assist you with contacting those surgeons on your behalf to get you started on your journey!  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/  

Let us know if you need anything else.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/16/14 5:32 am, edited 10/16/14 5:32 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I recommend my surgeon very highly.  His name is Justin Braverman and he's affiliated with the NEW Program at Chapman Medical Center in Orange.  You would have to contact his office to see if they accept your insurance.  Mine is Blue Shield, and they covered everything once I met the annual maximum.  Good luck!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Cathy W.
on 10/16/14 7:59 am

You're fortunate because there are lots of SoCal bariatric surgeons there that are excellent.  I used to live there and went to multiple informational seminars before I selected a surgeon. 

Contact Member Services and we can help you!