unflavored protein powder?

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/14 3:33 pm - warren, MI

does anyone have suggestions for unflavored protein powder. I dont like sugar substitutes so I am going to mix protein powder with almond milk instead of buying flavored powder. so I need one that mixes well. also juice and water after RNY my surgeons office says no sugar added juice is ok which is what I drink now mixed half water does anyone else do that and what juice do you use right now I use juicey juice is that ok? 

Sandie E.
on 10/14/14 3:41 pm - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

I haven't had any juice and I use "now" brand unflavored protein powder. 

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

Amy R.
on 10/14/14 4:36 pm

Have you had your surgery yet and if you have, which one was it?

I ask because you mention the juice.  Even unsweetened juice has a LOT of natural sugars, and if you had/have an RnY you probably will want to be very careful as many of us who dump do so on fruit and juices, not  just on refined sugars.

No experience here with unflavored protein powder but the one I've seen mentioned most is by Unjury.  It's important to remember that unflavored doesn't mean that it doesn't have a taste, because it will.  It's just not a specific flavor.

Just a suggestion:  it would help us answer your questions if you fill in your profile so that your surgery type/date etc shows up when you post.  For instance with the fruit juice - VSG's and DS'rs don't dump, so you only need to consider that particular reaction if you had/having an RnY.

Best of luck to you on your journey.

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/14 4:48 pm - warren, MI

I have not had surgery yet but I am having RNY which is why I wanted to ask others with more experience. also thats why I do half water half juice now to cut down on the sugar in it but I didnt know if that would cause dumping as well how much I should dilute it? I dont want to come out of surgery completely unprepared especially since I am completely against using any sugar substitutes.

thats a great Idea i will go work on my profile now =)

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/14 5:25 pm - warren, MI

ok i edited my profile and made a signature hopefully it works! lol

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 10/14/14 10:18 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Most on here do not drink juice at all. I am suprised they even suggested it. It has just as much sugar as soda. You also lack the fiber when it is made into juice which we all need lots of. I would say don't drink it all. They make a drink mix made out of lemon with no artifical stuff in it and I can't think of the name something like true lemon.

Kim N.
on 10/15/14 12:20 am
VSG on 12/08/14

HI!

I should be receiving my surgery date within the next 2 weeks.  I put myself on the Pre-op diet Sept. 2nd.  Taste varies for everyone but I like the Vitamin Shoppe's Unflavored Isopure Whey Isolate.  I take a scoop (26grams) and mix it with my favorite Crystal Light in a blender shaker 3 times a day.  It's taste is very faint.  I also sprinkle a little into the foods I eat for extra protein.  I think they have small packets you can purchase to try.  I've tried a lot of protein shakes and they make me gag.  Good Luck on your journey...Kim

BorderCollieMama

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/15/14 5:20 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Isopure Zero Carb Unflavored Protein Powder.

I added it to Greek yogurt after surgery and never detected any flavor or consistency change.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

NYMom222
on 10/15/14 12:45 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I like the Genepro unflavored protein powder I bought it on Amazon. It mixes very easily into hot things, which most don't, no clumping and you only need 1TBSP = 30g protein. 

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Bibo
on 10/25/14 7:20 am

I use unjury and J Robb. They don't like getting hot, 130 degrees is a stretch...Unjury sells thermometers for like less than 5.00. I have also used  GNC whey isolate vanilla, it's not "too" sweet to me. Isopure from the cold case (not the powder) at GNC is not too terrible, imho...Genepro is OK, too. Those are the only ones I have found that are not loaded with sweetness. I have heard that Bariatric fusion makes an unflavored one, but have not tried it myself. I thought that the vanilla and cappuccino both were way too sweet...not a lot of flavo, just sweet. I settled for it right after my surgery, but now that I am farther out, i honestly get most of my protein from regular food. On a day when i am running like crazy, I use the think thin peanut butter flavored bars as a snack, because they taste the least sweet to me, and I can't really chew nuts very well.  Often I will put powdered milk in stuff like beans and soup to supplement protein.