Two-week, liver shrinking diet

MissJuly22
on 10/17/14 5:13 am

Dr. Tyner of Bruce, Enochs, and Tyner

lelu2312
on 10/17/14 6:06 am
DS on 10/27/14

Hi MissJuly22,

I am on day 5 of my pre-op diet. I am doing the same plan as you (my surgeon is Dr. Enochs and I'm getting a DS on 10/27) and I have found that mixing flavors of the protein powders helps. I bought Ketogenx Vanilla and Bariatric Advantage Orange Cream and I mix one scoop of each for each shake. Then I have my 2 bars as snacks. For dinner, I've been eating some kind of meat (chicken, pork or beef) and my veggies. I really look forward to my dinner after my day of shakes and bars! I will say the first day I did it, I had a slight headache. But since then, it hasn't been too bad. I have added 8oz of chicken broth around noon (per Patrick) to help replenish electrolytes. And in the 5 days I've been doing it, I've lost 8lbs! So, that helps keep me motivated.

And to answer your question about a chicken salad, I would say yes. The approved food list says lettuce - all types and your chicken would be your meat. And maybe add a tablespoon of olive oil for the dressing since that's allowed. I am not sure about the soda...I've just been sticking to lots of water all day. Hope it gets easier for you!

MissJuly22
on 10/17/14 6:11 am

This has been the best advice yet!

I too bought the orange and vanilla and plan on mixing them as well. I like the chicken broth idea - something different, flavorful, and a good protein source.

Have you mixed skim milk in your shakes or do you stick to water?

lelu2312
on 10/17/14 6:28 am
DS on 10/27/14

I just use water cause that's what my sheet says. I wish I could use milk cause I think it would make the vanilla taste better cause it's not the best with water so that's why I mix the flavors :)

I have a feeling though by next week after drinking the same shake for 2 weeks, I'll never be drinking those flavors again!

Bill C.
on 10/17/14 7:43 am

I can totally vouch for the orange.  I bought a couple of 1 meal packs online and had the first today.  Really like the orange.  Vanilla not so much.  Strawberry is good and is good mixed with Chocolate.   I mix all mine with milk.  Makes a huge difference.  Smooths out the protein taste.   

Bill C.
on 10/17/14 7:45 am

So you guys can eat every day?  My surgeon has said only four meals over the two weeks.  I must confess I am sneaking a dill pickle a day for the salt taste.  Today I had raw carrots as a snack.  I dont think this will kill me.  This liguid diet think is harder than boot camp.

lelu2312
on 10/17/14 9:14 am
DS on 10/27/14

My surgeons plan is the first week, you can have 2 protein shakes, 2 protein bars / snacks and dinner whi*****ludes a small meat choice and veggies. The second week is strictly liquid, drinking 5 protein shakes a day. Being able to have dinner has really helped this week, I think next week will be harder. 

Jenbg
on 10/17/14 8:09 am - London, Canada

I am on day 3 of the "liver shrinking" which I have to do for 3 weeks!!

All I am allowed is OPTIFAST (made with water) 4 times a day. I can have also have water (have to get in 2 litres a day), decaf coffee/tea (no milk) with artificial sweetener, Crystal Light or Mio in my water, sugar-free jello. That's IT, That's ALL. lol.

It's interesting to see how everyone's liver shrinking diet is different. :)

Jennifer Buckley-Golder * Hamilton, On CANADA * Revision Surgery Date: November 14, 2014 (stapeling to RNY) * down 50 lbs Jan 12, 2015 *

erunyan
on 10/17/14 11:41 am
RNY on 10/29/14

I'm on day 3 of my liver shrinking diet also, but mine is only for 2 weeks.  I can have 3-4 protein shakes a day mixed with either 8 oz of water or 8 oz of 1% milk and a minimum of 1 gallon of water a day. The water can have any additives as long as its sugar free.  So far, I'm doing ok on just 3 shakes a day, but it's nice to know I can have the 4th if I need it.

joshie2645
on 10/17/14 12:21 pm - Springdale, AR

My Dr just wants me to replace two meals a day with a protein drink. Ive been doing this since Monday of last week and my surgery is on the 28th.