Losing my wardrobe

Gwen M.
on 10/18/14 7:33 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think Gwynnie Bee goes down to size 10?  I'm not 100% sure, though!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NikkyBeauty
on 10/15/14 8:31 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Girl you've got to be kidding me!! Now I know you know good and well thats it's much easier to find cute on trend clothes in smaller sizes! What! Us fat girls have one store that has cute trendy clothes (torrid) compared to the millions for smaller ppl! You will not have a hard time being fashionable when your smaller, if you have this great fashion sense that you say you have at size 20/22 it's going to be even better at a smaller size, better options and cheaper prices! I can't wait to get my arse in a pair of true religion jeans lol!!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Colleen O.
on 10/15/14 10:00 pm, edited 10/15/14 10:01 pm
VSG on 04/09/14

You are not alone.  I felt this way going into surgery.  At that point, I had already lost enough to need to go down a size or two.  On the one hand, I was thrilled to be going down in sizes.  On the other hand, I was so sad to not be able to wear the really cute wardrobe I had amassed.  I gave A LOT of clothes to my sister-in-law and watching her leave with the bags was hard. 

For me, it's not always easy to dress my new body.  I don't know what size I wear some days.  I don't know what flatters my body the most.  BUT, I do know that I can go into so many more stores and eventually find something that works.  I used to be terrified that my luggage would get lost when travelling because I knew I'd never be able to find stores in a strange city that carried my size for some replacements.  Now, I don't worry at all because I can go into any department store or Target or mall and find something.  I go to sporting events and don't have to hope the team shop has a "big & tall" men's section because I can wear the "normal" women's clothing now.  Despite some of the difficulties with getting used to my new body, it's totally worth it!

You will not become that fashionless girl again.  You've got the eye and the drive to be fashionable at any size.  Just be patient with yourself and don't be afraid to try new styles or to push yourself into something you didn't think you liked before. 

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

Bonnie250
on 10/15/14 10:32 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

Clothing is so not important. This is about health. Id rather wear hand me downs, Goodwill thrift store clothes than be in any large size clothing. I have always dressed fashionable as a heavy person, very put together, accessorized etc....I never dressed in frumpy old ladies clothes. But no matter how fashionable i dressed, I was FAT.  Now that I am wearing smaller clothes, I am happy in a Tshirt and jeans. Nothing beats feeling thin....no amount of plus size expensive clothes. Try selling at a consignment store, then shop for smaller sizes with the cash you make....You can still wear your same jewelry, high end handbags,shoes, scarves etc....right? You got this!!

Bonnie

gmantek
on 10/15/14 11:22 pm

This is interesting to me!  I feel kind of the same way.  When I was at my heaviest, I was always dressed to the nines - jewelry, heels, so put together anywhere I went.  Now, I'm looking even more put together but I can be in flats, skinny jeans, and a plain black t-shirt with a cool jacket.  Don't even feel the need to wear much jewelry.  My husband is thrilled because I am so low maintenance now, I can walk for hours because I will actually wear flats, and I still look better and more stylish.  But ditto on the comment about the boots, my calves aren't cooperating with the rest of my body!  I still can't wear most knee high boots:(

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/14 2:06 am
RNY on 11/17/14

These are both really great points. Thank you both :)

mevoila86
on 10/16/14 2:41 am

I totally understand where you are coming from. For the last 5+ years I have subscribed to fashion blogs, bought wonderful on trend items from overseas, supported REALLY expensive start-ups. I've got a full walk in closet that's oh so me! I worry because Fatshion (not a typo) is not just a hobby. It's a skill. It takes research and dedication. And I'm really worried that I've got to start all over again! Also, money doesn't grow on trees and a new wardrobe is literally Thousands of dollars if you do it the way I do. To put it into context, I've figure out a way to economically only wash clothes once a month... I'm also a germaphobe and only wear the clothes (except jeans) once before washing... Man... I have A LOT of clothes. The worst part is I don't know anyone my size that I can give them to so that they can have a loving home. So, MissH, I share your sad face!

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy: October 9, 2014 with Dr. Val Prokurat at Centra State Medical Center in Freehold, NJ.

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/14 2:05 am
RNY on 11/17/14

This is so so it! It's taken me years to accumulate what I have. I love that term "Fatshion". But it's very true. 

Denise2200
on 10/17/14 3:20 am

No worries!  You will fall right into it.  I've never been able to dress very fashionably because I've been overweight all my life, and the 'big' fashionable clothes were usually always too expensive for me.  But now, I could probably do a fashion show with my wardrobe, and I'm only down to size 14/16!  It was very easy falling into fashion sense!

luxurycouture
on 10/18/14 11:48 am

I thought about the same thing! I am still in the pre-approval process, but I have been mentally preparing to get the surgery and be thin! 

I have always been known to be stylish, especially for my size because I have had to be extra creative because the plus size clothing market is not nearly as good as average sizes. I own a womens clothing boutique and even I don't really carry plus sizes because the plus size clothing market is so in impressive. 

have you been thin before? I was never *thin* but there was a time that I was it decent shape (150lbs) and I think back to then and how much MORE stylish i was because I could wear fitted clothes that hugged my figure and clothes just fit bitter in general. 

I think once you lose the weight, you'll miss your old clothes less than you might think because you'll have so many more and better options! And I agree with the poster who said to tailor the clothes you love! And YES! Consign the rest! Out with the ld and in with the new!

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon