Hair loss

alicefive
on 10/15/14 5:40 am

I have been losing a lot of hair.  Last night I went to the hairdressor and my part now measures 3 inches wide.  She estimates i have lost over 1/2 of my hair, maybe more.  I have never missed my proteins or vitamins(after the first two weeks).  It has been 9 months after my surgery and all my lelvels are normal according to my bloodtests. Anyone have any words of wisdom? 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/15/14 6:16 am - OH

It is called telogen effluvium.  You can Google it or use the search function here on OH to find additional info about it.

Basically, it is the body's reaction to surgery and the drastically reduced nutrition post-op.  There isn't anything you can do about it except wait it out.  Getting your vitamins and protein just,eels it from being any worse than it would be WITH adequate nutrition.

I also lost half of my hair, but you are about at the point where it should be stopping, so just hang on a bit.  Soon you will see lots of little tiny little hairs sprouting up from your scalp!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

alicefive
on 10/15/14 6:22 am

Thanks,Lora.  I hope it starts soon.  I had really thick hair before but now it is so thin that my ponytail is only as thick as a pencil.  You can see my scalp no matter how I style my hair.  My hair stylisr suggested a hairpiece! Did yours grow back?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/15/14 9:20 am - OH

MOST of mine (probably 80%) grew back.  I was 45 when I had my surgery, though, and peri-menopause hit a couple of years after surgery and I lost a bunch of hair again (and none of that grew back), so my ponytail is about 60% the size it was for most of my life.  My face is so much thinner, though, that my hair not being as full isn't terribly noticeable (and people who didn't know me 7 years ago have no idea.)

Most people find that all of it grows back, though, so no need to fret!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Valerie G.
on 10/16/14 12:05 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If your hair is really botering you, definitely go for the hairpiece!  You could have all kinds of fun with that for years to come.

The good news - this phase should be nearly over now.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tracy D.
on 10/15/14 8:03 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I would say "welcome to my world" but I know that won't help you right now.  I was one of those people too that lost at least half of my hair and it did NOT start coming back at all until 12 months out (which isn't the story you hear from most people).   I was over 50, post-menopausal and already had fine/thinning hair prior to surgery.  I always got all my protein, did all my vitamins and took biotin and other hair supplements before, during and after surgery.  None of it had any effect.  

What has helped?   My doctor prescribed Spironolactone (you can Google it for all the particulars).  It put an almost immediate halt to the crazy shedding I was having every day and my hairdresser says the new hairs coming in are much thicker and stronger.  I take 100mg every day.  I also feel that 1 T. of chia seeds every day has helped the condition of my hair as has daily scalp massage.  

Good luck - if you don't see a change in the next 3 months I would start talking to your doctor about medication.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15