How often to weigh your self???

SWEETMEL7
on 10/13/14 11:32 pm - NY

Before surgery , I donated my scale and I only weight myself when I go to my PCP and surgeons office. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/14 2:20 am - RIVERDALE, NJ

Thanks guys I really love this site!!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/14 2:30 am

1st thing every morning, Then meds, then regular getting ready

I need the feedback & I have a goal I have to meet -  Fast! I am waiting for surgery to be scheduled (eeek)

I think over the last several years & not weighing was part of pushing the problem in the background, not really admitting I weighed 300+

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/14/14 3:20 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It really depends on your personality type.  Are you going to feel depressed and defeated if the numbers don't change, or god forbid, go up?  Then don't weigh yourself everyday.  

My scale is in my kitchen.  I weigh myself every morning after I've used the bathroom, showered and right before breakfast.  Numbers go up, numbers go down.  I don't freak out since I know that I'm eating the right things, drinking fluids and getting in regular exercise.  I track my weight on a spreadsheet every Monday, and also on my surgiversary date.  When I feel like I'm not making progress, I look at the spreadsheet and see how much I've achieved.  Numbers and trends work for me.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Goose Bump
on 10/14/14 4:21 am

Once a week on Friday mornings. I dont leave my scale out either I put it away so I dont think about it till friday.

VSG on 6/25/14  HW:360 GW:170  33yo 5'8''

huskergalWsD
on 10/14/14 12:53 pm

My Literature I received before wls said to weigh once a week post op. Well I am here to tell you that when I do that I end up gaining 5 pounds. When I weigh once or twice a day I stay on track. Nuff Said..

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

MyLady Heidi
on 10/14/14 12:59 pm, edited 10/14/14 1:01 pm

When I know I lost weight, I like seeing the lowest possible number.  As long as I stay at 138 or under I am thrilled.  It was 128 at last check a few weeks ago, higher now, I can feel every ounce and see it in my clothes.

Ladytazz
on 10/14/14 4:01 pm

I could tell you what my weight was very day for the last 4 years.  I write it down daily.  Don't know why but it works for me.

Every major regain I have had was preceded by my avoiding the scale.  So I know what doesn't work.

In some ways I am fascinated that no matter what happens my weight has stayed consistent.  Other than a few occasions, once after I reached my lowest weight and the other about a year ago out of the blue, my weight has never varied more than 1 or 2 lbs up or down.  I am so new to this maintenance thing that I need all the tools I can get.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Dizzybell
on 10/19/14 2:14 am
VSG on 05/05/14

Every Monday morning. I don't obsess and (at only 6 months out mind you) have seen a loss every single week except one where I stayed the same. For me, I know stalls and daily fluctuations would really bother me. When I get to maintenance I will weigh probably 3 times a week to keep on track.

--Keri--

HW: 275 SW:272 CW: 165.3

jastypes
on 10/19/14 10:20 pm - Croydon, PA

I think the scale can definitely become a compulsion, and, well, those are just not the best way to live.  I also found myself playing what I call the scale games.  If my weight was down, I was happy, but I felt like maybe I could get away with an extra bite here and there.  If my weight was up (even by a pound), I'd use it as an excuse to beat the crap out of myself and then either really restrict my eating, or think, "oh what the hell, might as well eat."  When I started working a 12-step program, I only weighed myself monthly at my nutritionist's office.  I've been eating sanely for a little over a year now, and I MEAN to weigh myself once a week, but often just forget!  Such a difference.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!