Pooping blood...

Brandymae
on 10/13/14 12:58 am - Canada

My sister had gastric bypass three days ago.  Since then she has ha two blood transfusions and is popping lots of blood.  

Looking for anyone that has had experiences with this and what happened.  

dccyr
on 10/13/14 1:10 am

Call the doctor immediately!

Member Services
on 10/13/14 1:23 am - Irvine, CA

This is a medical issue and should be handled and advised by doctors.  We hope she will be ok.

Brandymae
on 10/13/14 2:05 am - Canada

She is at the hospital already.  Hasn't left since surgery.  

She he is being monitored by doctors that are not giving much direction.  I was hoping to hear some personal experiences with a happy ending.  My sister is feeling discouraged and scared.  

Member Services
on 10/13/14 2:56 am - Irvine, CA

If you have not done so, post this on her surgery type forum, RNY.

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY)

brenlee1965
on 10/13/14 3:29 am - New Berlin, NY
Definitely make sure she is in touch with her doctor. They will check for leaks, and everything to ensure she is medically okay. Nothing to let go.....I would imagine she is scared, I would be too. Definitely seek medical attention.....DO NOT LET THIS GO!!!
 Bren                
Cathy W.
on 10/13/14 3:34 am

Don't settle for the doctors that aren't giving much direction.  This sounds serious.  Be a squeaky wheel and get the answers as to what is happening with your sister.

To you and your sister - take care!

Kate -True Brit
on 10/13/14 3:36 am - UK

I see what you are asking!  Not for advice, her doctors are looking after her. You are hoping there may be someone this has happened to who can share their experiences. 

That's not me! But I just wanted to send my best wishes. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

sparkling_dawn
on 10/13/14 2:02 pm - New Castle, IN

Make sure she gets answers ASAP!!!!!!!!!! She has a right to a second or third opinion as well.

Holli R.
on 10/13/14 6:43 pm - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 09/16/14

I'm so sorry to hear what you and your sister are going through.

I did some searching, and it seems like a lot of the time the doctors assume it is from one of the intestinal joins that is bleeding more than average.  They often give it a few days to clear up on its own, and then if it hasn't stopped they do further investigation.  I've found several posts from members here who said they were kept a few extra days for bleeding, it stopped, and they were released to go home.

You definitely have the right to get an explanation for what they think is going on and how they have decided to handle it though.  The nurses may know, so I'd talk to them first, but if they can't give you a clear enough explanation, insist on talking to someone who can asap.

I hope that all goes well and this resolves soon.  I'll keep your sister in my thoughts.

Height: 5'0"  HW: 289  SW: 279  

Next Goal: under 250 lbs