Please help. I need advice asap

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/14 2:50 pm
with

hey I'm sorta new to this. Just have a quick question I'm on week two of my preop optifast diet and in the first week I lost 7 pounds. I got on the scale today and I gained back 5 pounds. I have been eating some of the bad stuff again but I hope this doesn't prevent me from having surgery next week. Please give me some feed back. What should I do? My next weigh in is on Friday. 

Krys H.
on 10/15/14 3:23 pm - hemet, CA

Just get back on track. Some surgeons won't perform surgery if you gain weight.

gmantek
on 10/15/14 11:12 pm

I think what's most concerning is that you are a week away from surgery, on a diet to help shrink your liver, and you are bringing the bad stuff into your diet.  After surgery, there is no room for the bad stuff!  My advice would be to sit down and really think about the commitment this is going to take in order to be successful. This tool is a lifesaver, literally.  You have to work it though - if you stay on plan you will reach your goal.  I hate to be negative but I am 6 months out and I am here to tell you, this is when the rubber meets the road!  It's easier to eat a little more, you've learned what you can and cannot tolerate, you've lost most of the weight so the loss is slowing.  You need that persistence and discipline to get through to the other side!  You have to start now in your case to make sure you can stay away from the foods that got us here in the first place!  Think about before it touches your lips if it's really worth it!  I don't mean to sound harsh, just really want to help:)

poet_kelly
on 10/16/14 12:48 am - OH

You should follow your pre op diet and not eat stuff that's not on your diet.  You should talk to your surgeon and dietician about why you haven't been following the diet.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kate -True Brit
on 10/16/14 6:35 am - UK

Week two and "bad stuff"?  Never mind the gain, it is your commitment which concerns me. This is not me being judgemental or nasty; it is me being worried!

You don't tell us which surgery you are having but with all the surgeries, mindset and commitment are key. During the first few months, losing weight is comparatively easy but then it gets harder! You need to be truly determined to succeed. If you find it hard to manage more than a week, when you know your surgeon thinks it essential for a safe operation, are you really ready for this?

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,