Would you have had weight loss surgery if you knew then what you know now?

Ladytazz
on 10/16/14 3:05 pm

Well, 4 years ago I did do it again, though not exactly willingly.  

Four years ago I was begging my surgeon for a reversal of the surgery I had 8 years earlier.  I had all kinds of problems, most due to my own mistakes, and had regained almost all of the weight I lost.

My surgeon wouldn't do a reversal but he did do a revision that helped with many of the problems but the biggest difference is that I finally followed rules.  Had I done that in 2002 things might have been different but I did the best I could with what I had at that time.

So, whenever the question comes up if I would do it again, I have a hard time coming up with a good answer.  I know without a doubt that had I not done it I would never have kept off over 130 lbs for 4 years.  Just would never have happened.  I had a lot of experience with losing weight and never had a successful experience with keeping it off for any significant amount of time.  Now I have help and I am able to do it.

I am not that enthusiastic about having WLS.  I guess it is like having heart surgery.  Would you do it again?  What would the options be?  I had a hernia repaired.  Would I do that again?  Well, I could learn to live with it or I could get it fixed.  Not that WLS fixed me but it was the only treatment available for me that had any kind of odds for me to get better.  There really wasn't an option C.

If I could have managed it with just diet I would of but I found after many, many attempts that it wasn't likely to work for me.  I put a lot more faith in WLS then I do diets, but that's just me.

Had there been another treatment available that had as good of results as WLS I would have probably gone that direction but at this point in time WLS is the best we have to deal with obesity.  If I could have done it without being sliced and diced I would have gone that route.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Kate -True Brit
on 10/16/14 7:14 pm, edited 10/16/14 7:14 pm - UK

I wasted 24 years of my life being too big to be active enough to play games with my children, enjoy physical activity, feel confident socially.  My surgery, eight and a half years ago, gave me back my life in itime  for me to be able to run, play with, chase, swim with my grandchildren. 

Wish I had had it done many years ago.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Cathy W.
on 10/16/14 10:11 pm

I definitely would.  The only thing that I would do differently is not take my weight loss for granted and think just because I had surgery and lost weight that I wouldn't have any regain. 

bikrchk
on 10/17/14 5:28 am

AbsoFrigginLutely!  The pre-op part SUCKS! I felt very out of control waiting on others and relying on their recommendations, approvals, etc. all while trying to get control of my over eating for the pre-op diet.  For me the procedure, (VSG, they also fixed a hiatial hernia while they were in there) and hospital stay were not so bad. I was released a day early after 24 hours in the hospital and never needed narcotics. I was VERY compliant with protein, vitamins and exercise, (still am).  I had not a single complication and was back at work the next week. Today, I'm 1 year on the other side and have been in maintenance for the last 3 months holding a BMI of 23-23.5. I exercise regularly, eat what I like in small quantities and am off all pre-op meds enjoying size 4 skinny jeans!  Worth the changes I had to make to get here\stay here? You betcha!

Sweat is fat crying

The Salty Hag
on 10/17/14 5:56 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Absolutely. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I'm just about 17 months out, down 137 lbs,  and feel wonderful. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

krs2009
on 10/20/14 8:38 pm - Fargo, ND

In a second! No hesitation. Single best decision ever.

dlavarnway
on 10/20/14 9:22 pm

Absolutely, and I wish I would have done it sooner.

cheri_baby
on 10/20/14 10:48 pm

Absolutely. No regrets!

ktfitch
on 10/20/14 11:16 pm

There is so much I could say about this but there isn'tenough time or space!  I am 12 years out from RNY surgery. I started at 265, got down to 145 and over the last 10 years have gained 35 pounds back. Not unusual to have that happen if you're not careful. I absolutely have NO REGRETS. It is the best thing I could ever have done for myself. I was in relatively good health when I had the surgery. But was approaching dangerous conditions..high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, etc. I have maintained my current weight of 180 for the last 5 or 6 years. Still in great health. But, you have to watch what you eat. Portions are not a concern, but the frequency of eating is.  I am 68 years old and plan to live to 100 because of WLS!

Cathrine J.
on 10/21/14 1:48 am - Victoria, Canada
RNY on 02/01/12

Definitely!

You're aware there are risks though so it's wise to not count on what others say to help make your own decision.  You're the one who is going to experience the surgery, recovery, modifications to your diet (short and long term), commitment to regular exercise and whatever, if any, health complications results. 

HW 262, BMI 46.2 / SW 216, BMI 38.2 / CW 183 / GW 155
*45 lbs were lost pre-op.
5' 3 1/2"