Is the Risk Worth the Benefit?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/15/14 10:16 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I decided to take the risk of surgery rather than live with the risk of what morbid obesity brings to my life. I also am 44, but no kids, but even if I had them I know being morbidly obese would not only cut down the amt of time I had to spend with them, but also my quality of life while I was with them.

I had this surgery for me, I needed my tool because exercise & diet alone just wasn't doing it for me. I already had diabetes, my joints were hurting, I couldn't do as much as I wanted to do & I wasn't living my life to the fullest that it could be. I felt like a ticking time bomb for my health to get even worse & I couldn't take that risk anymore. I felt like I was just moving from 1 diet to the next & everything was centered on what life would be like after I lost the weight. Years & years would pass & this would still be my motto of living for that day when the weight was gone.

Now I've decided to enjoy my life for now, not wait for the day when the weight would be gone & then start living life. The weight is coming off & staying off, in the past I would've been gaining by now. I'm more active now & enjoying it & looking forward to doing more. Eventually I'll find a therapist I'd like to work with & deal with issues that I've probably been ignoring, instead of placating with food. If I hadn't had the surgery I probably would still be living for the day when the weight was gone. The benefits far outweigh the risks for me anyway. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

momomof3boys
on 10/15/14 11:45 am

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I so appreciate you sharing your stories - it helps so much to hear from others who have been through the process. 

angel720
on 10/15/14 1:29 pm
VSG on 08/06/14

I am under 3 months post op and can already tell you without hesitation  that it  is worth it!  I am a long way from goal but just the change in my spirit, my optimism and desire to enjoy things once again is awesome!

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center

Bansheefaerie
on 10/15/14 3:05 pm
RNY on 09/25/14

I had the RNY. I'm 29, mother of 3. My youngest is turning 3 in a few days. I say yes, it is well worth it! I'm not doing this to be skinny. I'm doing it to be healthy. I want to play sports with my kids, fit down a slide, etc. I'm still at the beginning. My surgery was 9/25 of this year. I started my journey in 2008 and gave up for a while. I say just push for what you want. 

HW 298.6 - Consultation weight 289.6 - SW 267.6 - CW 239.4  

~ Laura

bertgamble2001
on 10/15/14 3:46 pm - Willits, CA

Absolutely worth the risk.

I have had splinters that hurt more than the sleeve procedure.  Paper cuts are much worse.

Honestly, for me, there was nothing to it.  From day one after surgery, my life was normal except for what I was eating.

Amy R.
on 10/15/14 11:32 pm

Yes. Yes it is most definitely worth the risk.

I'm a risk taker by nature, but if I hadn't  had this surgery the health problems I have had over the last six years would have killed me.  There is no doubt in my or my doc's mind that at 347lbs, I would not have survived much past December 2008.

Even after losing 160-170pounds statistically I should not be alive to type this.  I had the surgery so I could see my daughters into adulthood and marriage/parenthood.  Today I have a play date with a exceptionally cute, smart, adorable, loving, almost three-year-old grandson; I get to spend time with him so my beautiful and pregnant again daughter can get some other things done.  I can be there for my daughter and grandson today, as well as for  my younger daughter who is away at college and having a little trouble adjusting to dorm life. 

It's not right for me to tell you what to do.  But I will tell you this:  I'd take the risks of the surgery over the risks of super morbid obesity any day.

Best of luck to you on your journey, wherever you decide to let it take you.