Not telling people about surgery MEANS YOU'RE NOT READY!

msladykris
on 10/12/14 12:07 pm - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15
On October 12, 2014 at 5:13 PM Pacific Time, lcraver wrote:

Your boss should not be telling anyone about other employees. Period. Knowing that she will, would make me not willing to share any personal information with her, also. As to the nurse, is it possible that she doesn't realize that if you share the information with your manager, that everyone will know in the office?? You should share your information with who you want to.  In my case, everyone close to me knows that that I am in the process of getting insurance approval for WLS. And, I am lucky enough to be supported by everyone.  My problem is that my husband tells everyone my business. Always has, always will. I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer and he even told someone he was selling something to on EBay!  LOL.  Such a ninny! It has become the joke in our family... who did you tell today???  I have been trying to train him now that when I get WLS, I don't want the world to know... but, I have a feeling everyone will know. I am going to try to use this as incentive to really stay focused.

Good luck on your journey.

Cleaver, she definitely knew because the whole reason this topic came up was because I was apprehensive about submitting std info due to the confidentiality issue. I wish I could make some excuse I can come up with is that she took that opportunity to discuss the topic an play psychologist and paint everyone with the same brush. She need not quit her day job! Lol

lmbo @ your hubby! Men are so much diff than women! They don't seem to care at all!

greensleeved
on 10/12/14 12:27 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

The fact that your HR person, the one person most responsible for seeing that workplace relationships are respectful and your privacy is protected is the one who most concerns you is horribly ironic. Why is the fox watching the hen house? Simply put , you are right and she/they are wrong. End of story.

I think MANY WLS patients have problems with caring what others think and that won't change overnight .  Before anything even happens you need to flat out remind her that her job and the federal government prohibit her disclosing your personal medical info.  If she does it anyway, get proof, go to her boss , and have her fired!  Your rights are your rights  screw everybody else 😝 You will be so full of post op confidence you can do anything!!!!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

huskergalWsD
on 10/12/14 8:52 pm

Yes I would tell anyone who is interested in my health, and yes I have had 2 abortions.I wouldn't use that word , I use the term I have had two pregnancy terminations...

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

msladykris
on 10/12/14 10:10 pm - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15
On October 13, 2014 at 3:52 AM Pacific Time, huskergalWsD wrote:

Yes I would tell anyone who is interested in my health, and yes I have had 2 abortions.I wouldn't use that word , I use the term I have had two pregnancy terminations...

Wow, well I guess that is the difference between you and I.  To each his own...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/12/14 11:09 pm - OH

How in the world would it be useful to tell your co-workers that you had an abortion?!?  

I'm not sure what kind of work you do, but in the office type settings that have worked in for 30+ years there are personal and professional boundaries and it would be considered over sharing (and might limit your career opportunities/advancement).

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

msladykris
on 10/13/14 3:28 am - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15
On October 13, 2014 at 6:09 AM Pacific Time, ****rogirl, The PhD Version wrote:

How in the world would it be useful to tell your co-workers that you had an abortion?!?  

I'm not sure what kind of work you do, but in the office type settings that have worked in for 30+ years there are personal and professional boundaries and it would be considered over sharing (and might limit your career opportunities/advancement).

For a minute there I thought I was crazy!  I'm thinking, "Wow!  People are sharing the fact that they had an abortion????"  That is an extremely personal thing to talk about.  More so than WLS!

Tracy D.
on 10/13/14 1:34 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

OK, that nurse needs to go jump off the nearest building....F*ck her and her judgmental opinions!

It really ****** me off that people assume because you want a little privacy surrounding your medical information that it means you're not physically or emotionally ready to have the surgery.  I only told my boss about the surgery and the HR Director because I knew she'd find out - and I made certain to tell her of my privacy concerns and that I didn't want to find out that ANYBODY in her department leaked the information.   She knew I was serious because I was the HIPAA Privacy Officer at that company.  And although it wouldn't be a HIPAA violation necessarily, it definitely is a violation of employee privacy to talk about the specific reason a person is out for disability or FML.  

I would have a serious heart-to-heart with your HR person and remind her of your expectations for absolute confidentiality.  You have legal recourse to sue her and your company if she doesn't keep this information absolutely confidential.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kate -True Brit
on 10/13/14 3:00 am - UK

Well  had surgery in 2006 and only told immediate family. Absolute rubbish to say that that meant I was "not ready" for surgery! I just happen to like my privacy and that includes the fact I have had surgery. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

sparkling_dawn
on 10/13/14 7:19 am - New Castle, IN

The HR lady is breaking the law if she breaks confidentially. That is a concern that you should take up with higher management.

But if the biggest concern you have is whether or not people find out, then in my humble opinion, you may not truly be ready. This surgery is major and wonderful and traumatic and difficult and life-altering and all kinds of other things. People will talk about you having it. People will comment on how you look - constantly - regardless of whether or not you tell. People will look to you as a source of inspiration, counsel and advice. People will be jealous. People will treat you differently than they did before the surgery. People who were mean to you will suddenly be nice. People who were nice will suddenly be mean. People will say how much you've changed. You will want to punch them because you haven't changed but how you look has. Men will smile and linger and talk to you. Women will feel intimidated. It's a lot. I'm a 5 year post-op. I lost 240 pounds initially and am dealing with a 60 pound regain over the years for a lot of these reasons. People knowing about my surgery hasn't really been an issue. People treating me differently because of how I look has been.

msladykris
on 10/13/14 7:59 am - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15
On October 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM Pacific Time, sparkling_dawn wrote:

The HR lady is breaking the law if she breaks confidentially. That is a concern that you should take up with higher management.

But if the biggest concern you have is whether or not people find out, then in my humble opinion, you may not truly be ready. This surgery is major and wonderful and traumatic and difficult and life-altering and all kinds of other things. People will talk about you having it. People will comment on how you look - constantly - regardless of whether or not you tell. People will look to you as a source of inspiration, counsel and advice. People will be jealous. People will treat you differently than they did before the surgery. People who were mean to you will suddenly be nice. People who were nice will suddenly be mean. People will say how much you've changed. You will want to punch them because you haven't changed but how you look has. Men will smile and linger and talk to you. Women will feel intimidated. It's a lot. I'm a 5 year post-op. I lost 240 pounds initially and am dealing with a 60 pound regain over the years for a lot of these reasons. People knowing about my surgery hasn't really been an issue. People treating me differently because of how I look has been.

I'm thinking this is the same line of thought as the nurse facilitator. She missed my point.  Of course, people will know eventually. They can assume and guess all they want. The point is...I want to choose how and when I tell people. Simple as that.

Obviously I plan to release tons of weight and of course people will notice. That has nothing to do with the tool I chose to accompli****

Most Active