Not telling people about surgery MEANS YOU'RE NOT READY!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/12/14 12:21 pm - OH

I agree. Telling coworkers about medical history so they can MAYBE remember and tell an EMT in the VERY unlikely event that you have a medical emergency at work?!? Um... Not just "no", but "hell, no".

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/12/14 12:18 pm - OH

If there is something in someone's medical history that EMTs would need to know in case they were unconscious, they should be wearing a medical alert necklace or bracelet.  

Sorry, but I think the idea that people should share medical information with their co-workers (and then expect that a coworker will think to tell an EMT everything they know about that person's medical history) is ridiculous!  Many people in my office happen to know that I take blood thinner, but I wouldn't expect any of them to think to tell an EMT that!

Lora

saterry
on 10/13/14 2:14 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

Exactly Lora !

And people will be amazed how smart and well trained we Healthcare workers have become.....

We treat emergency symptoms first.

Life threatening situations follow an algorithm and no where in this process does it ask what surgery or conditions people have.

Eventually we get to that but it is not necessary in the immediate emergency to have a complete history to save someone.

So feel free not to overwhelm the ENTIRE office with a list of meds, surgeries, psych disorders or weekly hang nail updates.....

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

msladykris
on 10/13/14 3:25 am - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15
On October 13, 2014 at 9:14 AM Pacific Time, saterry wrote:

Exactly Lora !

And people will be amazed how smart and well trained we Healthcare workers have become.....

We treat emergency symptoms first.

Life threatening situations follow an algorithm and no where in this process does it ask what surgery or conditions people have.

Eventually we get to that but it is not necessary in the immediate emergency to have a complete history to save someone.

So feel free not to overwhelm the ENTIRE office with a list of meds, surgeries, psych disorders or weekly hang nail updates.....

LOL!  Makes complete sense to me!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/13/14 5:41 am - OH

Whew!  That is a load off my mind!  I was going to have trouble remembering all of the STDs and psych diagnoses, and I would hate to give everyone incomplete information, LOL!

saterry
on 10/13/14 5:54 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

We only have so much paper Lora. Eventually we stop writing it all down and just hope for the best.......

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

TexasTerritory
on 10/13/14 8:22 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Does this really mean my hang nails don't matter to ya? Darn. I am a drama queen....

I don't think I would trust co-workers with my medical history any more than I would trust them with my bank account.

I was selective about who knew of my WLS and am still private.

Really bummed about the hang nail issue...

RNY on 10/21/13

You speak the truth, my friend. Even after you get them stabilized, patched up and they're ready to come to me in rehab for therapy, I STILL don't care or need to know about an abortion or the like. WLS, perhaps, so I can make sure you are on the right diet because hospital meals are atrocious, but I am sure that would come up at some point, like, uh, if they did a CT of your abdomen. 

LAP RNY 10.21.13  Pounds lost by month: 1: 34 2: 25 3: 16 4: 12 5: 7 6: 18 7: 10 8: 8 9:15 10:10 11: 10  12:  Total so far: 190! pounds

Packers64
on 10/12/14 10:02 am - OH

That nurse is full of ****  People that I've told about having the surgery have been limited to those that are smart enough and wise enough to know that the surgery is a tool and not a quick fix.  Those that I've not told have no need to know.  Period.

lcraver
on 10/12/14 10:13 am - Knightdale, NC
RNY on 03/02/15

Your boss should not be telling anyone about other employees. Period. Knowing that she will, would make me not willing to share any personal information with her, also. As to the nurse, is it possible that she doesn't realize that if you share the information with your manager, that everyone will know in the office?? You should share your information with who you want to.  In my case, everyone close to me knows that that I am in the process of getting insurance approval for WLS. And, I am lucky enough to be supported by everyone.  My problem is that my husband tells everyone my business. Always has, always will. I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer and he even told someone he was selling something to on EBay!  LOL.  Such a ninny! It has become the joke in our family... who did you tell today???  I have been trying to train him now that when I get WLS, I don't want the world to know... but, I have a feeling everyone will know. I am going to try to use this as incentive to really stay focused.

Good luck on your journey.

Most Active