Not telling people about surgery MEANS YOU'RE NOT READY!

Freemama
on 10/12/14 4:38 am
RNY on 11/05/14

Withholding private information with those who have shown themselves to be untrustworthy is good judgment. Sweeping statements about people's readiness based on a single factor, and without complete information, is not.

msladykris
on 10/12/14 5:58 am - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15
On October 12, 2014 at 11:38 AM Pacific Time, Freemama wrote:

Withholding private information with those who have shown themselves to be untrustworthy is good judgment. Sweeping statements about people's readiness based on a single factor, and without complete information, is not.

I like that!

Karen B.
on 10/12/14 6:02 am - MA

Hi,

I work in a hospital.  Any discussion of your health issues by HR is a HIPPA violation, illegal and even can be grounds for legal action.  That nurse overstepped her boundaries and should know better.

Karen B.
msladykris
on 10/12/14 7:35 am - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15
On October 12, 2014 at 1:02 PM Pacific Time, Karen B. wrote:

Hi,

I work in a hospital.  Any discussion of your health issues by HR is a HIPPA violation, illegal and even can be grounds for legal action.  That nurse overstepped her boundaries and should know better.

I've been trying to find info that says Human Resources is bound by HIPPA laws. I have yet to find anything. I'm leaning towards not even telling her. I've been on chemo treatment for lupus that is not getting better so I'm leaning towards just saying I need to focus on my health.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/12/14 8:22 am - OH

HR employees aren't bound by HIPAA. Just by professionalism.  Tell her as little as you can (see my post below).

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/12/14 8:20 am - OH

I have been thinking about this since I posted my initial response, and even if you work in a very small office, there is no reason that anyone, even the head of HR, needs to know why you are having surgery.

The only thing you need to do is fill out the paperwork and provide it to the INSURANCE folks who handle your STD policy, and tell your boss that you need a certain amount of time off for medical reasons (technically, you don't even need to tell her you are having surgery).  Even though she is the head of HR, there is no reason she needs to know ANYTHING else.  She is, unfortunately, not bound by HIPAA, but still shouldn't be telling anyone anything about your personal issues.  (I have a boss who has done the same thing and I have spoken to her about it on two different occasions, so I know how uncomfortable that conversation and situation can be.)

Some STD policies kick in immediately upon hospitalization while others have a certain number of days before it kicks in (when you have to take vacation or sick days). There is no reason you shouldn't take advantage of the STD since you pay the premiums for it, especially since there is always the possibility that you might be one if the few who has complications and might need more time off than you anticipate (or might find that you are one of the ones who gets really slammed by post-op fatigue).

As long as not telling your boss immediately that you are planning to be off doesn't create a problem (e.g., finding someone to cover your work while you are off), my suggestion would be to not tell her until you have the STD request approved.  Then all you have to tell her is that you have some medical disability time approved and tell her when you expect to be back at work.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

msladykris
on 10/12/14 8:31 am - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15
On October 12, 2014 at 3:20 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl, The PhD Version wrote:

I have been thinking about this since I posted my initial response, and even if you work in a very small office, there is no reason that anyone, even the head of HR, needs to know why you are having surgery.

The only thing you need to do is fill out the paperwork and provide it to the INSURANCE folks who handle your STD policy, and tell your boss that you need a certain amount of time off for medical reasons (technically, you don't even need to tell her you are having surgery).  Even though she is the head of HR, there is no reason she needs to know ANYTHING else.  She is, unfortunately, not bound by HIPAA, but still shouldn't be telling anyone anything about your personal issues.  (I have a boss who has done the same thing and I have spoken to her about it on two different occasions, so I know how uncomfortable that conversation and situation can be.)

Some STD policies kick in immediately upon hospitalization while others have a certain number of days before it kicks in (when you have to take vacation or sick days). There is no reason you shouldn't take advantage of the STD since you pay the premiums for it, especially since there is always the possibility that you might be one if the few who has complications and might need more time off than you anticipate (or might find that you are one of the ones who gets really slammed by post-op fatigue).

As long as not telling your boss immediately that you are planning to be off doesn't create a problem (e.g., finding someone to cover your work while you are off), my suggestion would be to not tell her until you have the STD request approved.  Then all you have to tell her is that you have some medical disability time approved and tell her when you expect to be back at work.

Lora

Lora you are so right. I 100% agree! Thanks for sharing you're brain with me! :) I will keep you posted on how things go!

kathkeb
on 10/12/14 9:28 am

Kris,

My other thought about this, is that there is plenty of time to 'tell', but you can NEVER 'Un-tell'.

I chose to discuss my surgery with my husband and 1 close friend, and notified everyone else I wanted to tell AFTER my surgery.

I did not want opinions or comments.  I did not want to hear that their sister's mother-in-laws cat had WLS and died.

Some people, I have never told about my surgery.  They have seen me at 130 pounds lighter and ask how I did it, and I say that I made lots of life style changes (which is true).

Kath

huskergalWsD
on 10/12/14 8:43 am

The way I have always looked at it is if something were to go wrong post op and you needed an ambulance they need to know about your previous surgeries etc.if you became unconscious. this is very important. or if you got hurt at work.. nothing to be ashamed of that you had wls..same goes for your family if something were to go wrong..

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

msladykris
on 10/12/14 9:39 am - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15
On October 12, 2014 at 3:43 PM Pacific Time, huskergalWsD wrote:

The way I have always looked at it is if something were to go wrong post op and you needed an ambulance they need to know about your previous surgeries etc.if you became unconscious. this is very important. or if you got hurt at work.. nothing to be ashamed of that you had wls..same goes for your family if something were to go wrong..

So, let me ask, would you tell them if you had just had a boob job or an abortion? I understand that some people are sharers, but I'm just not. I would hope someone would contact my emergency contact (who is my mother) and she could tell them whatever they need to know.

Most Active