Falling off the ban wagon 16 months post op

kristina722
on 10/12/14 6:42 am - VA

looking for advice from those that may have fallen off the ban wagon 16 month or more post op.  What should I do to get myself back on track?  I have an office job so I do not get much movement during the day.  I keep making excuses for myself but need to stop the excuses and get back on track.  I have no complications with any foods except milk.  Thinking of going on the liquid phase to jumpstart the weight loss.  I have lost 80 pounds and now I have lost the same 5 pounds over and over again.  I am getting nowhere.

poet_kelly
on 10/12/14 6:59 am - OH

You don't need to go back to liquids.  Go back to what your post op plan says you should be eating.  What was your diet supposed to be like at one year out?  Do that again.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/12/14 7:49 am - OH

What Kelly said.

Going back to liquids is probably just going to make you feel like you are on a diet (you remember how UNsuccessful dieting was, right?), is going to be hard to stick to, and will probably end as most diets do: with you wanting to eat all sorts of things that you shouldn't in order to make up for not eating anything solid and having no variety in your intake. (Many people crave salty, crunchy snacks when they aren't eating anything solid and that is the first thing they reach for when the PT go back to eating solid food.)

Go back to eating lots of dense protein (meat, beans, fish,  cheese, etc.) and very few carbs (dairy products and non-starchy veggies only.  No drinking with meals.  Increase your physical activity. (And, as you said, stop the excuses.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Eggface
on 10/12/14 10:01 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Planning meals helps me.  Track for awhile too (my fitness pal, fitday, sparkpeople all free)

Make your house a safe zone from unhealthy choices. 

Move when you can... 4 songs = 10 minutes of dancing in the AM, 10 minutes walk at lunch, 10 minute You Tube video before bed= 30 minute workout and just as effective as 30 minutes continuous.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Laura in Texas
on 10/12/14 11:12 pm

Get out your measuring cups and food scale. Focus on protein first and get your carbs from veggies. Determine how many calories you are eating now and subtract 500 per day. Track every bite. May sound boring, but it works. You have to decide if you are actually going to do the work or not. Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Valerie G.
on 10/13/14 12:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

At 16 mos post-op, it's normal for the body to slow down on the weigth loss and settle into a good place.  Most are at or near goal around this time, so it's perfect.  For those not at goal - this is where it becomes much harder than it was the first year, as you're starting to experience right now.  It will probably be easier than pre-op, however go to your dense proteins as Lora suggested and get "back on the program" and see if you can't jump your body back into gear now.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tracy D.
on 10/13/14 1:25 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Kristina - you didn't say which surgery you had but I don't know that it really matters.  I'm 16 months post-VSG and have my struggles too; I'd still like to get another 5-10 lbs. off.   I am not an advocate of going back to liquids at all!  It's just a fad diet/quick fix and we don't need to be doing that anymore.   Here are my tips: 

1.  Track every mouthful of food every single day with an app like My Fitness Pal.  In fact, pre-plan your food for the next day and plug it in the night before so there are NO surprises.  

2.  Get at least 80 grams of protein per day and try to stay as close to 40 grams of carb as possible (this can be tough but de-carbing is criticial). 

3.  Make sure you are drinking 100 oz. of water per day.  

4.  Cut out all rice, pasta, flour...and of course anything that has sugar in it.  For now I would also cut out all fruit.  

5.  Move your body at least 30 minutes per day.   Exercise is NOT going to help you lose weight but you have a job like I do so it's important to get those muscles firing at least 30 minutes a day.  It doesn't have to make you sweat or be intense at all....just move.  

I promise you if you do these things that the weight will start coming off again - good luck! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Jen Lyn
on 10/14/14 3:30 am
RNY on 11/11/13

Good reminders.