Plateau

rosebud12078
on 10/9/14 9:41 pm
VSG on 01/22/15

I have been at a plateau for about 2 weeks now. I did start exercising about a week ago. I know I could be building some muscle but the scale just isn't going down. I don't know what else to and it is getting very discouraging. How have some of you handled this situation. I know it happens to all of us.

Belle Ink
on 10/10/14 2:22 am

Don't get discouraged. Just make sure that you are getting enough protein in and plenty of water. Stalls and platues are going to happen. The important thing is to stay focused and follow your doctor's program. Make sure you are accurately tracking your calories and protein.

rosebud12078
on 10/10/14 2:47 am
VSG on 01/22/15

Thank you so much!

Tracy D.
on 10/10/14 2:39 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I feel like a broken record because I post this response to everyone who starts exercising, stalls and then thinks they're doing something wrong...but here goes: 

1.  You haven't gained any muscle in two weeks, OK?  It takes a LOT of weight-bearing exercise over a LONG period of time in order for that to happen.  This is from someone who has been actively working on it for over a year, has been having underwater body fat/muscle testing every 6 months to check on it, and who has only gained 3 pounds of muscle in allllllll that time.   So no, your stall isn't because of an increase in muscle mass.  Maybe someday, but not yet.   

2.  The reason the scale isn't going down is BECAUSE you just started an exercise program.  Every time that happens, the body reacts by hanging onto every. single. ounce. of water for the first few weeks.  Think of it as the water cushioning your newly sore muscle from all the trauma they are feeling after just sitting around for years and years.  A half gallon of water weighs 4 lbs.!  

3.  Don't focus on the scale during this time.  How are you clothes fitting?  Use the tape measure to track inches lost.   I guarantee that you are losing weight - it just isn't being reflected on the scale, which is a lousy indicator of your progress right now.  

Keep you head down, stay off the damn scale, and do what needs to be done every single day.  Consistency in behavior is how you need to be measuring your success right now, not in what the scale is saying.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

rosebud12078
on 10/10/14 2:47 am
VSG on 01/22/15

Thank you very much! This certainly helps.

MsBatt
on 10/10/14 3:08 am

OH needs to put this in a sticky at the top of the page.

Tracy D.
on 10/10/14 3:28 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Awww, thanks 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

NYMom222
on 10/10/14 5:00 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I am learning plateaus are part of the process, I've had 2 already and I'm only 11 weeks from surgery. The first one lasted 3 1/2 weeks and I just came off the second that lasted 2 weeks. Why the body does what it does? who knows. Keep doing what you are supposed to do. It will happen. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save