New here - what to look for in a provider?

sherreis
on 10/9/14 4:30 am

I have just decided to pursue WLS and am just starting to search for a surgeon and program.  What should I be looking for?  

kathkeb
on 10/9/14 4:45 am, edited 10/9/14 4:46 am

If your insurance carriers going to pay, you will have to work within the constraints of their list of providers.

After that, attend seminars, attend local support groups, if you can ..... 

As a Band patient, I knew that my relationship with my surgeon would extend long beyond the actual surgery, so I looked for someone I could trust and respect.

Someone who takes time with me, answers my questions, sees me as an individual and supports my success.

Kath

Cathy W.
on 10/9/14 6:00 am

Here is a list of Questions To Ask Your Surgeon.  Review the list and select the questions important to you.

LIza M.
on 10/9/14 9:18 am

Thank you this was very helpful I am just getting started too...

Elizabeth

MsBatt
on 10/9/14 8:09 am

The first you should do is call your insurance carrier and make certain you have WLS coverage. (Of course, you do have the option of being self-pay, if they don't cover but you want enough to pay out of pocket.)

Then you need to research the various different forms of WLS, and decide which one you can live happily with forever. I suggest you visit the various surgical boards, including the Revision board.

Then, once you've decided which procedure you want, then you can start researching surgeons who are highly skilled in doing the procedure you want. The four basic procedures are the LapBand, the VSG/Sleeve, the RNY/gastric bypass, and the DS/duodenal switch, and there are surgery boards here for them all. You should also check out other WLS-oriented websites as well.

sherreis
on 10/9/14 1:04 pm

Thank you for the answers and the detailed list of questions.  I had already checked my insurance and I have coverage.  I know I meet the medical necessity criteria for the surgery cause that's what I do for a living.