I HATE YOU SALT!!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/14 8:44 pm - RIVERDALE, NJ

I feel its not fair I eat anything salty I hold onto like 8lbs of water weight!  Does this happen to anyone else?  Suggestions?  I came to the conclustion I cant eat anything out of a bag or pre made I always regret it

Grim_Traveller
on 10/11/14 10:09 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You could do what I do, and just ignore it.

People act like they gain 3 pounds every day from too much salt. You can only retain so much water, and it can't happen every day. You'd look like that kid from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and get sent to the juicing machine to get 200 pounds of water out.

So, you carry a few pounds of extra water. If you are eating low calories, you'll still lose fat at a pretty constant rate. 3 pounds is just a rounding error.

I had really low blood pressure after losing a bunch of weight, and was told by my doc to have extra salt. 

Even if you  an get rid of those few pounds by cutting way back on salt, can you sustain it? I couldn't. And most likely the fluid retention is not due to excess salt, but poor circulation. I had really bad edema in my legs from bum veins. Keeping my legs elevated, especially at night, got rid of a lot of that fluid, without changing salt intake.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Karen M.
on 10/11/14 11:27 pm, edited 10/11/14 11:29 pm - Mississauga, Canada

While I agree that eating pre-made, processed foods isn't great for you (and does have added sodium) and preparing your own meals that you can control the ingredients of (and is far more tasty than pre-packaged crap), I also completely agree with what Grim has said above. Salt isn't the enemy, it's a seasoning.

Karen

Edited to add: if you REALLY want to hate something, hate refined sugar. Eating that should cause you regret, not the salt.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/12/14 2:32 am

I have to remember to add extra salt to my food. I use sea salt or good quality mineral salt - like Himalayan salt.   If i don't. My body gets dehydrated even with drinking a lot of water. Salt keeps the water inn the body. Very important. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kathkeb
on 10/12/14 4:09 am

I need extra salt to regulate my blood pressure.

I get dizzy if I don't add extra salt.

It might keep a few extra pounds of fluid on me, but that is a small trade off for being able to stand without falling down.

Kath

MsBatt
on 10/12/14 6:33 am

How many ounces of water are you drinking, EVERY day? The more water you drink, the less water you'll retain.

(I am NOT giving up salt! *grin*)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/12/14 7:54 am - OH

What Grim and Karen said.

Since you know it is jus****er weight, why do you worry about it?  You know it will go away on a day or two...

The way I see it, you have two options.  Cut out anything with whatever is "too much" sodium for you (whatever the threshold is that makes you retain water) or just stay off the scale when you have had high sodium, processed foods.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Holli R.
on 10/12/14 8:07 am - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 09/16/14

Very few healthy foods come straight out of a bag.

That said, I agree with most of the posters above.  The number on the scale is not your enemy - it's a measure of everything that makes you up, including water, muscle, bone, and body fat.  When we talk about losing weight, the body fat is what we really want to lose, the only thing we want to lose really.  We definitely don't want to lose bone mass, want to hold on to as much muscle as possible, and water weight is really fairly neutral - it generally doesn't really affect our health either way.  That 8 lbs of water weight isn't making you fatter or less healthy, so just ignore it.

Remember, it's not all about that number on the scale.  Losing a limb would lower that number quickly, but it certainly wouldn't make you healthier or skinnier.  So focus on what you can do to be healthy, and the weight will follow.

Height: 5'0"  HW: 289  SW: 279  

Next Goal: under 250 lbs

Luvmygs
on 10/13/14 1:08 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I need salt too, I use Redmond Real Salt. Pricey, but healthy.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/13/14 5:25 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Processed foods are generally heavy with sodium and should be avoided if possible.  But salt isn't the enemy.  If you're eating fresh produce, there's nothing wrong with using salt to season it, along with a few other things.

Water will eventually work its way out of your body.  You can't obsess everyday or you'll drive yourself   Accept that your body will at times hold onto water and just keep eating the right things.  Eventually it will balance out.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220