5 days post op from Rou-n-y and I feel like my insides are falling out. Anyone else have this...

October2014rny
on 10/11/14 12:41 pm

I had my Rou-n-y surgery 5 days ago and I am still in so much pain that I can't hardly stand it. I am still taking 2 pain pills at a time just to be able to function. Some people have said the pain is coming from the drainage tube and others say it is completely normal. In my upper left quadrant and all the way down the left side is going to fall out and hit the floor, I am convinced of it. When gravity takes over the pain is almost unbearable. As long as I am laying in my recliner or bed it doesn't hurt at all. I expected some pain after all it is major surgery, but this is not what I expected. I was not prepared for this and it scares me. How long does this last? 3 more days until I get my tube out so I am in agony until then. Any encouraging advice or personal tribulations would be very much appreciated. New to this forum and so glad to have found it. Martha

Chilipepper
on 10/11/14 2:12 pm, edited 10/11/14 2:13 pm

Sounds like gas pockets trapped. Curl up with a heating pad. Tomorrow get some gas x tongue strips and get moving. You she be walking and stretching some to get the pockets of gas to shift.  

When you have surgery they blow you up like a ballon with gas to make it easier for them. 

Walk walk walk. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

NYMom222
on 10/11/14 3:10 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I agree it could be gas. You should be passing, or have passed a lot of gas at this point. As in more than you thought was possible :)... I didn't have drains but I do remember my belly feeling very heavy esp. when i was standing or walking. It gets better. Good Luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

NikkyBeauty
on 10/11/14 8:58 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Drains?? Why do you have drains? I'm sorry I just read ur post, I can't offer much advice for your pain I'm pre/op but I do hear the gas is terrible and walking helps but I'm more concerned about why you have drains because I haven't heard of that with WLS does everyone have those after surgery??

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

October2014rny
on 10/11/14 9:53 pm

Hi, the drainage tube is only an issue if you have RNY and it has to stay in for a wee****il your first post op surgeon visit. I have to measure the fluid and watch for color changes. I don't know if that is normal for all surgeons, but everyone that I talk to in my area had one. Pretty routine. It only last a week though. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/11/14 10:47 pm - OH

People are asking about the drain because most surgeons don't do drains for RNY, so you are in the minority.  

Because it only hurts when you get up, it definitely sounds like the trapped has from when they blew your belly up. Unfortunately, the very best way to get rid of it is to walk, walk, walk. Sometimes even the most powerful pain killers don't help much with the sharp gas pain.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Racewalker48
on 10/12/14 3:17 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I had a drain with my RNY but it was only in for 1 day.  It was pulled right before I was discharged. 

RoxySquirrel13
on 10/11/14 11:10 pm

I agree - sounds like gas. Pain meds won't touch it.

I had a drain as well.  My doctor said the pain wasn't from the drain itself but from the large staples underneath.  It will get better.

Start Weight: 297         Surgery Weight: 279.7        Current Weight  248.4

Surgery 9/17/14

pflower101
on 10/11/14 11:42 pm

I had a few episodes like that the first 3 weeks. I took Gas-X, 2 pain pills and walked it out. Make sure to manage constipation too. You'll feel like your dying. But it is short lived:-)Sip very slow also.

1HealthyMomma
on 10/12/14 3:34 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

I had RNY on Oct.7 so I am 5 days post op as well . I came home on Oct. 8 and haven't needed any pain meds at all since day 2 and on day 2 I just took 30ml of children's Tylenol. The gas was very uncomfortable and crampy but I seemed to walk it out and I drank peppermint tea. If your pain doesn't go away reallt soon I would be going to the ER. I would put in a call to your surgeon right away to see what they think.

Hope you feel better soon

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen