Question

Brice_54
on 10/11/14 11:28 am - St. Albert, Canada

I had the operation done in March and am very happy with the procedure. I just have a question. In a move I lost m6 literature...lol and so far I have lost 70 pounds but I am at a plateau. I would like to loose 50 more pounds. Is that normal? Plus I forget are we not supposed to drink and eat at the same time. Maybe that is why I don't seem to be loosing anymore  Also if memory serves me correctly we aren't supposed to chew gum or drink through a straw. 

Brice_54
on 10/11/14 11:28 am - St. Albert, Canada

I had the operation done in March and am very happy with the procedure. I just have a question. In a move I lost m6 literature...lol and so far I have lost 70 pounds but I am at a plateau. I would like to loose 50 more pounds. Is that normal? Plus I forget are we not supposed to drink and eat at the same time. Maybe that is why I don't seem to be loosing anymore  Also if memory serves me correctly we aren't supposed to chew gum or drink through a straw. 

poet_kelly
on 10/12/14 3:47 am - OH

It's normal to lose about half your excess weight by six months out.  So sounds like you're right on target.

Drinking with meals can allow you to eat more, since it washes food out of your pouch.  There's no reason not to chew gum (as long as you don't swallow it) or to drink with a straw, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MsBatt
on 10/12/14 6:36 am

Judging by your questions, I'm assuming you had the RNY/gastric bypass. If you'll post this info and your surgery date on your profile, it will show up every time you post. Having this info helps us give good answers specific to your question.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/12/14 7:04 am - OH

If you have been following the rules all along (e.g., NOT drinking with meals), how could you forget what you are supposed to be doing?!? At 6 months (or more) out, you should KNOW the rules backwards and forwards...

I know this is going to sounds rude, but the fact that you don't know the rules may be the reason that you find yourself at a plateau.  Stalls, however, are also common at about 6 months out. 

You seriously don't know whether you are allowed to eat and drink at the same time after 6 months?  Sorry, I am just REALLY surprised!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/12/14 11:06 am, edited 10/12/14 11:06 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I think the rule about gum chewing only pertains while walking.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

poet_kelly
on 10/12/14 1:05 pm - OH

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/12/14 1:39 pm - OH

Well, color me embarrassed... I thought it was no chewing gum while drinking from a straw, LOL.  I already knew that I couldn't  walk and chew gum at the same time!

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mary Gee
on 10/13/14 1:21 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Well.......you could call the surgeon's office and ask them to forward a copy of the literature.......

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175