I am so upset. I have to have 3 psych consultations before they will do it..

determineddeb
on 10/10/14 6:08 am

I have immense medical co-morbidities including sleep apnea, hypertension, peripheral neuropathy, diabetes type 2, fibromyalgia, interstitial cystitis and now Meniere's disease.  I am on disability, and went for years with no medical insurance.  Just finally got my Medicare in March 2014.  I have waited for so long to get this, and I am not thinking it is a miracle cure.   I supposedly failed that 5 different tests and 500 question test because I show anxiety.  The day I took the eval I was in the throes of yet another severe bladder infection, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.  I should have rescheduled but I just wanted to go forward.  I am not bulimic and I do not use food as a stress reliever.   Well, my reaction was not good when the psychologist said he felt I was a very good candidate for surgery, but I need to have 3 more consults with him before he will release me.  What I can't understand is that my primary care doctor, my gyneurologist, endocrinologist and gastroenterologist all feel my years of chronic health concerns would more than benefit from weight loss surgery.  Now I must wait another 3 months.   Can anyone empathize with me?

determineddeb
on 10/10/14 6:08 am

I have immense medical co-morbidities including sleep apnea, hypertension, peripheral neuropathy, diabetes type 2, fibromyalgia, interstitial cystitis and now Meniere's disease.  I am on disability, and went for years with no medical insurance.  Just finally got my Medicare in March 2014.  I have waited for so long to get this, and I am not thinking it is a miracle cure.   I supposedly failed that 5 different tests and 500 question test because I show anxiety.  The day I took the eval I was in the throes of yet another severe bladder infection, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.  I should have rescheduled but I just wanted to go forward.  I am not bulimic and I do not use food as a stress reliever.   Well, my reaction was not good when the psychologist said he felt I was a very good candidate for surgery, but I need to have 3 more consults with him before he will release me.  What I can't understand is that my primary care doctor, my gyneurologist, endocrinologist and gastroenterologist all feel my years of chronic health concerns would more than benefit from weight loss surgery.  Now I must wait another 3 months.   Can anyone empathize with me?

MsBatt
on 10/10/14 7:49 am

He's not telling you you can't go forward---just that you need to do some work on getting your head in the right place as well. This surgery has a HUGE psychological impact on some people. He just wants you to be in the best place to succeed. Three months is nothing in the big picture.

Mary Gee
on 10/10/14 9:06 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Deb, it is frustrating that you have to have three more consults before psych will release you for surgery.

You didn't provide any information in your profile -- have you been through all your pre-op testing yet, or are you just starting your program?  What type of surgery are you planning on having?  For most of us it takes six months to a year to clear all the hurdles -- and we all get frustrated along the way.  Use the time to prepare yourself - you'll be glad you did.  My mantra has always been read, read, and then read some more.........

The surgeon and all your medical providers want your surgery to be successful.   Try to be patient - the better informed you are, the more likely you'll be successful.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/10/14 10:46 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Having to wait 3 more months when you're all set to go SUCKS! Though I can understand why they have to do it. Your physical doctors may recommend the surgery because of what it will do to your body, but none of that will necessarily happen unless your head is ready, too. The psychiatrist has probably seen LOTS of patients and hopefully knows what emotional/psychological stuff will cause issues with your new tool, and your brain-- like all of the rest of you-- has to be ready.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/10/14 11:16 am - OH

What Julie (SparkleKitty) said. ^^^

Your PCP, gynecologist, etc. have no idea what kinds of psychological issues could keep you from being successful if you have the surgery immediately.

Three additional psych sessions is VERY few.  Often, if we feel that someone has emotional/psychological issues they need to work on before surgery, it is a 6-month therapy recommendation, not just three sessions.

The psych aspects post-op (dealing with psych issues that contributed to the obesity, changing your thinking and behaviors, etc.) are AT LEAST as important as the physical aspect of surgery to long term success.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

determineddeb
on 10/14/14 2:19 pm

With all due respect, the day I took this test I was in the midst of yet another serious kidney infection.  I should have cancelled the appointment, but I am so determined to be able to get this surgery I have waited for several years to get.  I am much better now from this recent episode of infection.  I have not been able to exercise due to neuropathy, Meniere's disease, constant repeated UTI's, sciatica.  I repeat, I do not have bulimia, nor do I binge.  I do have a problem in not eating at regular times, and I have not been getting enough sleep.  I have researched this psych evaluation, and I had to take the extensive MMIP testing.  No one else that I know personally who have had WLS had to take such an extensive test.  I recall that I was having trouble even keeping the lines straight because I was feeling so badly that day.  I am upset because the psychologist told me he felt I was an excellent candidate for the surgery, but my anxiety needed to be addressed.  Of course I was anxious.   I do not like the tone you used in answering this with the capital letters.  Financial hardships have been one of the biggest obstacles I have had to endure, especially with not being able to have medical insurance for almost 12 years.  I had amassed an enormous amount of medical bills, and have had numerous surgeries.  I am more than ready and willing to cooperate with the necessary changes this surgery will incur.  I have been through it with my husband.  I suppose you are going to state I am being paranoid, but your tone in reply seems to be very accusational and putting a guilt upon me for my past failures in weight loss.

determineddeb
on 10/14/14 2:19 pm

With all due respect, the day I took this test I was in the midst of yet another serious kidney infection.  I should have cancelled the appointment, but I am so determined to be able to get this surgery I have waited for several years to get.  I am much better now from this recent episode of infection.  I have not been able to exercise due to neuropathy, Meniere's disease, constant repeated UTI's, sciatica.  I repeat, I do not have bulimia, nor do I binge.  I do have a problem in not eating at regular times, and I have not been getting enough sleep.  I have researched this psych evaluation, and I had to take the extensive MMIP testing.  No one else that I know personally who have had WLS had to take such an extensive test.  I recall that I was having trouble even keeping the lines straight because I was feeling so badly that day.  I am upset because the psychologist told me he felt I was an excellent candidate for the surgery, but my anxiety needed to be addressed.  Of course I was anxious.   I do not like the tone you used in answering this with the capital letters.  Financial hardships have been one of the biggest obstacles I have had to endure, especially with not being able to have medical insurance for almost 12 years.  I had amassed an enormous amount of medical bills, and have had numerous surgeries.  I am more than ready and willing to cooperate with the necessary changes this surgery will incur.  I have been through it with my husband.  I suppose you are going to state I am being paranoid, but your tone in reply seems to be very accusational and putting a guilt upon me for my past failures in weight loss.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/15/14 2:05 am - OH

You can read my emphasis of capital letters any way you choose, and if you choose to interpret them as judgmental (when, if you had ever read any of my posts, you would know that I always do that -- or use bold or italics -- to attempt to add some tone to the flat words on the screen), then there isn't anything I can do about that.  

I simply wanted to point out that being asked to do three WHOLE sessions (yes, that is intended sarcasm) is truly very few.  Many people, even those with "just" anxiety issues are asked to complete 6 months of counseling before they are given the green light for surgery.

Not everyone is asked to take the MMPI (not MMIP), but some psychs ask everyone to do it and some only ask some people to do it when they she concerns.  Having done it doesn't make you any more or less committed (or able) to handle the changes needed for surgery.  It just means you invested more time doing an additional assessment.

(BTW, for the record, I have never diagnosed anyone anywhere with paranoia...)

I stand by my response, capital letters and all.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

chevtow41
on 10/15/14 2:11 am
DS on 11/11/14

I only needed one visit to qualify but have actually gone about 6 months. I knew I had a problem with occasional binge eating and portion control, so why not be as prepared as possible? I certainly don't want to screw this up.