Proud owner of a juicer!!!

reset2014
on 10/9/14 6:27 am

It looks like I'm the odd one out here, however, I did a 4 day juicing fast PRE_OP.  I used the Joe cross mean Green recipe (4 celery, 2 cucumbers (peeled), 2 apples, 1/2 lemon, 2 handfuls of spinach, and a small piece of ginger (peeled).  It is high in carbs but I find I personally lose weight much faster than straight protein.  First day lost 4 lbs, second day 2 pounds, 3 rd day 1.5 lbs.  I made sure to track it all as well not going over 900 calories or so.  I did 3-4 juices/day.  I do realize this may not be a good option POST-surgery.

hollykim
on 10/9/14 7:05 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 9, 2014 at 1:27 PM Pacific Time, reset2014 wrote:

It looks like I'm the odd one out here, however, I did a 4 day juicing fast PRE_OP.  I used the Joe cross mean Green recipe (4 celery, 2 cucumbers (peeled), 2 apples, 1/2 lemon, 2 handfuls of spinach, and a small piece of ginger (peeled).  It is high in carbs but I find I personally lose weight much faster than straight protein.  First day lost 4 lbs, second day 2 pounds, 3 rd day 1.5 lbs.  I made sure to track it all as well not going over 900 calories or so.  I did 3-4 juices/day.  I do realize this may not be a good option POST-surgery.

and didyoukeep that 7.5  # off after you stopped the juice diet?

reset2014
on 10/10/14 2:02 am

yes, thus far.  I had to switch after 5 days to the 2 week protein shakes liver shrinking diet prior to my surgery.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/10/14 6:17 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Presumably the maintained weight loss is because you had the surgery afterwards, and not because you drank juice?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hollykim
on 10/10/14 6:44 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 10, 2014 at 9:02 AM Pacific Time, reset2014 wrote:

yes, thus far.  I had to switch after 5 days to the 2 week protein shakes liver shrinking diet prior to my surgery.

do you think you would have kept if off it you hadn't gone right into your preop diet?

hollykim
on 10/9/14 7:10 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

juicing is just really another fad diet. ESP post op. Even ppl who have not had Wls should not drink their calories. Liquids go straight thru our sleeves and that allows us to drink huge amounts of it and in jest huge amounts of sugar and calories. 

The only exception to.  That is protein shakes.

Vegetable Nd fruit cars are simply sugar especially if. You take the fiber away. Fiber is the only think that gives them much health benefit at all. 

Our bodies are lazy. If there is free flowing sugar inthe blood stream,and all the carbs in juicing,turn into free flowing sugar,then our. Bodies will use that easy source of energy instead of burning stored fat. Burning stored fat is where weight loss comes from.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/9/14 10:53 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Just to reiterate what others have said, the Cleveland Clinic highly discourages juicing.  Any form of calorie drinking is considered highly predictive of WLS failure and regain. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

The Salty Hag
on 10/10/14 12:57 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I take the non-juicing stance even further and just avoid fruit all together except for very rarely. It's worked for me. I was never a fruit eater anyway. I DO eat veggies though...after my protein.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/14 12:59 am - RIVERDALE, NJ

Im confused becuase isnt it the same as doing your 2 week liquid diet b4 the surgery?  Isnt it sort of the same assuming you do low calorie veggies?

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/10/14 1:36 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You need liquid protein,  not carbs.  You will never be able to reach 60-80 grams of protein through juicing.   You will be consuming a lot of calories which will not help you heal or lose weight. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220