You say it's all in the Restriction that you know your pouch is still working?

56sunShine14
on 10/9/14 12:32 am

But doesn't the BBq sauce on ribs have a lot of sugar?

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Lisarn1
on 10/9/14 12:18 pm - Raleigh, NC

Sorry, dumping syndrome can be anything a person can't process properly. It could be sugar/carbs, fats, or related to gastroparesis. Dumping syndrome is not simply an RNY issue. It can happen to anyone with gastric issues. I should know! I have been diabetic for my entire life. Even prior to my RNY in 2009, I had a very sluggish bowel and gastroparesis, causing episodes of diarrhea, vomiting, and terrible gas not related to my food choices. I still have these symptoms with the exception of the vomiting. I have only done that once since my original surgery, and that was directly related to the marginal ulcers I have. 

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

Grim_Traveller
on 10/9/14 2:32 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Yes, it can happen to anyone, but true dumping syndrome is the result of large amounts of sugar being emptied, or dumped, into the intestine. It happens most often in RNY patients because we lack a pyloric valve, but can happen in those with gastroparesis, or anyone, where the pyloric valve doesn't function as it should.

Sugar is the only thing that can cause this particular reaction, due to the size and density of the sugar molecules, which create osmotic pressure in the whole length of the small intestine. The body attempts to equalize this pressure by pulling water from other tissues and the blood itself, and creates spasms throughout the intestine. The drop in blood volume due to this movement of water creates the sweating, faintness, and palpitations. If too much water is drawn into the intestine it can also lead to diarrhea.

This is a very specific set of reactions, and is the only thing that can be properly called dumping syndrome. Only sugar can cause it. Protein and fat molecules just do not create the same set of conditions.

Many people have problems if the eat too much fat. They may feel unwell, they may get diarrhea, but it is not dumping.

Every runny nose is not a cold. Or the flu. We can call a runny nose a cold, or the flu, but it doesn't make it so. Every gastric upset is NOT dumping syndrome. To call it that is misleading and inaccurate.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/9/14 7:18 am - OH

Dumping is dumping is dumping and is caused by sugar. period. If the fat in the ribs is making you sick, it isn't dumping.  As Amy and Grim said, not every kind of digestive upset is dumping, no matter how much "experience" you have with your RNY. 

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 10/9/14 9:43 am - OH

If you are really dumping on eggs, then I suggest not putting so much sugar in your eggs.  Because sugar is what causes dumping.  If your eggs are making you dump, you must be putting a lot of sugar in them.  Which does not sound appetizing to me anyway.  But try using Splenda in your eggs instead of sugar.  Or, you know, make your eggs without sweetening. 

They might still cause you digestive issues.  But they will not cause dumping. Trust me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

huskergalWsD
on 10/9/14 9:55 pm

ok my mistake, Amy may have the correct answer here. I always thought while reading these posts early post op that its all dumping. I just know my Rny is still working 7 years post op. And not from only restriction. I cant eat Ribs like I use to pre op. I cant eat full eggs they hurt in my stomach big time. I can eat Egg whites with no problem. I cant eat dry pieces of chicken, I cant eat fried chicken like i did pre op... They all hurt in my stomach and I relieve the pain by drinking water til it passes. This is how I know my Rny is still working and my restriction is still working. Really? sugar on my eggs. I don't know anyone who puts sugar on their eggs. I certainly do not. what are you smoking..Just thought it was all called dumping... what is the correct term for my stomach aches when I eat these certain foods I mentioned?

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~