You say it's all in the Restriction that you know your pouch is still working?

huskergalWsD
on 10/8/14 1:33 am

I believe there's more to it than restriction. I have trouble eating a few foods still at 7 years post op..I know my pouch (Rny)  is still working because I still get dumping . I eat eggs and get dumping. I eat greasy spare ribs and get dumping. hard to stop eating some fav foods. I will someday. Just to name a couple. Theres more.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Grim_Traveller
on 10/8/14 3:48 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There may be something in those foods that disagrees with you, but it isn't dumping. You can't dump on eggs or ribs. Actual dumping syndrome is a very specific issue, and can only be caused by sugar.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

huskergalWsD
on 10/8/14 6:38 am

Trust me, It's dumping...I'm no stranger to my Rny

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Grim_Traveller
on 10/8/14 7:05 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It's not a matter of trust. I have no doubt something is happening. But dumping syndrome only happens with sugar. No ifs, ands, or buts.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Zee Starrlite
on 10/8/14 7:40 am

I think something weird happens with grease - fairly early out (around 6mos post-op VSG) I experienced it with a holiday blondie my boss is famous for making (laden in sugar & butter) - but again, you are right - SUGAR add Grease and.     With that poor traumatized heart I would stay clear of any grease.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Amy R.
on 10/8/14 9:44 am, edited 10/8/14 9:47 am

This may be one of those instances where there is not an understanding of what "dumping syndrome" really is.  It is NOT diarrhea.

Dumping syndrome refers to a process in which consumption of too much sugar results in the "dumping" all of it (the sugars) into the small intestine in a very short period of time. True dumping is characterized by sweating, rapid heartbeat, occasional nausea  and a general feeling of awfulness.  Sometimes it can be slept off - other times you just get to wait out the misery.

It is fairly common for folks to confuse dumping syndrome with intestinal or bathroom problems, which are many times caused by too much fat intake.

edited to add:  I too know my pouch is still working due to issues other than restriction only.  i've have endoscopies that show my stomach is still tiny and my stoma is not stretched.  not only can i eat less food at one sitting, but i am generally satisfied with less as well. i still dump and get reactive hypoglycemia - my episodes now are even worse than they were early out.  fortunately i can control them if i eat correctly (very, very little sugar consumption and only on rare occasions). unfortunately i still sometimes feel the need to throw caution to the wind and eat what i want. those times never end well. i am glad i don't have to rely solely on restriction; i have proven to myself that i can graze enough, even with good restriction, to cause substantial re-gain.

Chilipepper
on 10/9/14 2:26 am

When you are dumping from sugar you know it. I was 3 yrs post op and husband said. I have never bought you an ice cream cone in the few years we had been married.  I said I will take a half of scoop in a cup just to taste. I have never been so sick in my life. Puking, crapping, cramping, sweating, rapid heartbeat it took a few hours to pull it back together and had to sleep it off.  He felt so bad. I know what it's like and haven't had anything like that in the 4 yrs since.  I agree though hi fat foods can cause bathroom issues that can include cramping and loose bowels, but it's not "dumping". 

56sunShine14
on 10/9/14 12:31 am

But doesn't the BBq sauce on ribs have a lot of sugar?

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/9/14 7:16 am - OH

It varies by brand.  I have some that is noticeably sweet and has 16g per 2TB and I have some "regular" that is only 5g per TB.  

Unless someone is very sensitive to sugar, there probably isn't enough sugar in the average sauce (and on the small amount of ribs that a RNYer can eat) to cause dumping.  

It is far more likely that the OP is getting sick (but it isn't actually dumping) from the fat in the ribs.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

56sunShine14
on 10/9/14 12:32 am

But doesn't the BBq sauce on ribs have a lot of sugar?

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen